How would you get home if SHTF?

Logistics and Transport
preparedsurrey

Re: How would you get home if SHTF?

Post by preparedsurrey »

I've had a bit of a wake up call with this recently, there's been a shortage of lpg autogas in most of the country, luckily we had both vehicles full and they will run on petrol (but badly in the case of my van). Working further away for a few days meant I went through the 140l I had and no more was available :(
I'm now looking at getting a hand pump to transfer from bottles to the vehicles as at least you can keep a few 47kg bottles in stock as I could have used our petrol supply in a couple of days.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
metatron

Post by metatron »

I work away a lot, if my cars working I'd drive back, although I work in Ireland, Jersey and Isle of Man a lot, so I'm reliant on flights. I've never come across weather I could not drive in, or ways to get around obstacles. If the cars not an option walk, even if it takes a few weeks. I took some sailing lessons many years ago from the same guy who taught me how to drive a car, I'm fairly sure I could liberate a boat if others were not willing to help and get back to the mainland.

Besides some kind of viral outbreak or zombie apocalypse, I'm fairly sure I would get home with a week or two of traveling.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Being able to sail is a really handy skill to have, even a small boat can go a long way in a day, and here in the UK we don't get that many days without wind.
Another advantage of sailing is it's really quiet, so it's easy to pull into a small cove or river and hide up if needed.
Ady-:)

Post by Ady-:) »

I agree, sailing has always been top of my bug out plans. Liberate a rich person's boat, anchor offshore until the chaos has passed. If it turns out to be a long term problem you have the means to go anywhere in the world.
A decent size sailing boat can accommodate a family, large enough to store supplies, has communications and comfort.
Just hope the weather doesn't turn bad, although a big enough boat will ride out most storms.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I get scared every time I see this thread :lol: Sod's law dictates the worst case scenario would probably happen, I hadn't considered water as a means of getting closer to home probably because I rarely leave Devon and I used to get as sick as a dog on the water, but the "old school" element of sailing I have to say has to be a good skill and facility.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Plymtom wrote:I get scared every time I see this thread :lol: Sod's law dictates the worst case scenario would probably happen, I hadn't considered water as a means of getting closer to home probably because I rarely leave Devon and I used to get as sick as a dog on the water, but the "old school" element of sailing I have to say has to be a good skill and facility.

Sailings one of those things that people love doing it and want to convert others. Training is often fairly cheap and I'm fairly sure I could slip back into it even with a bunch of years in between if needed. I know I'd not driven a tractor since I was a 15 and I had no issues with one last summer (now 35), helping someone move produce and cut grass, these motor skills are hard to forget.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

In the recent snow it took me 48 mins to walk from work to home with my GHB. I was in full hiking kit but I could do it in my normal work clothes. It was a useful experience.