How would you get home if SHTF?

Logistics and Transport
Arzosah

Re: How would you get home if SHTF?

Post by Arzosah »

Good points! I've thought about travelling during an event a lot over the years. I'm usually at home, especially now I've retired, so it doesn't have the urgency for me that it did - but I still go on trips to London, for instance, which is 50 miles or so. I'm on public transport, so at first I'd be waiting to see if it started running again. If it didn't, then depending on the situation I'd try to walk it anyway, or get to one of my nephews that live and work in London (3 of them!) or one friend in Brixton that I'm pretty sure would take me in.

Other day trips are usually within 20 miles or so of my house, or my sister's, and we'd likely be in her car, which she wouldn't abandon until the zombie hordes were in the mirror :mrgreen:

The only trips I do fairly regularly that would cause me real trouble is the train up to Merseyside, about 270 miles each way. A map, even an A4 photocopy, would help, compass too. Wind up radio, purification tabs. But staying put until you know you've got no help coming would be important, this is real world and a complete breakdown is unlikely.

That said, I trust my gut. A train I was on stopped at Clapham Junction one time, and I smelt smoke. Nothing kept on happening, and I was more and more worried about it. Eventually I got out and found a seat on the same platform, but it wasn't for another 10 minutes that an announcement was made to evacuate the train. I'd been right in the middle of my carriage, and it was a packed train - if it had gone up in flames, I wouldn't have been certain of getting out.

One of the biggest problems I see is getting over large bodies of water: the Severn Bridge, the Forth Bridge, the Solent, for our IoW member, the Mersey, the Thames at Dartford. If the means of crossing is controlled by people you don't want to meet, or crossing is being refused, you need alternates. Not many people carry boats in their GHB!
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

A bike isn't a bad way to travel post SHTF. it's easy to fix most things that go wrong. You can get around obstacles that would stop a car even a scrambler is hard work to get over a fence, a bike you just lift over.
You can carry a good weight, and best of all it's near enough silent.
A good rider can do a 100 miles a day without too much of a problem, even beginners manage 35 miles in "fun" rides. And you can hide it away easily enough.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

on a normal day i'm within 10 miles from home so I guess i'd just walk it but I regularly travel for meetings and conferences etc. all over the place

I have one coming up in 2 weeks in Paris for a couple of days, multiple concerns with this one nothing to do with SHTF but the current transport strikes, regular "other" strikes, the ever present threat of terrorism and the fact that its an international event raise my concerns ...... I guess in this situation walking home would be an epic adventure so I guess I'd head further south to stay with friends and family.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

xplosiv1 wrote:on a normal day i'm within 10 miles from home so I guess i'd just walk it but I regularly travel for meetings and conferences etc. all over the place

I have one coming up in 2 weeks in Paris for a couple of days, multiple concerns with this one nothing to do with SHTF but the current transport strikes, regular "other" strikes, the ever present threat of terrorism and the fact that its an international event raise my concerns ...... I guess in this situation walking home would be an epic adventure so I guess I'd head further south to stay with friends and family.
Walking home from Paris is going to be.... interesting, don't forget the mask and flippers... ;)

Being serious though it does raise a really good question. In the event of things getting really bad how would we get home from another country? Ok France isn't too bad, "borrowing" a boat should solve that one, but further afield?
unsure

Post by unsure »

Arzosah wrote:Good points! I've thought about travelling during an event a lot over the years. I'm usually at home, especially now I've retired, so it doesn't have the urgency for me that it did - but I still go on trips to London, for instance, which is 50 miles or so. I'm on public transport, so at first I'd be waiting to see if it started running again. If it didn't, then depending on the situation I'd try to walk it anyway, or get to one of my nephews that live and work in London (3 of them!) or one friend in Brixton that I'm pretty sure would take me in.

Other day trips are usually within 20 miles or so of my house, or my sister's, and we'd likely be in her car, which she wouldn't abandon until the zombie hordes were in the mirror :mrgreen:

The only trips I do fairly regularly that would cause me real trouble is the train up to Merseyside, about 270 miles each way. A map, even an A4 photocopy, would help, compass too. Wind up radio, purification tabs. But staying put until you know you've got no help coming would be important, this is real world and a complete breakdown is unlikely.

That said, I trust my gut. A train I was on stopped at Clapham Junction one time, and I smelt smoke. Nothing kept on happening, and I was more and more worried about it. Eventually I got out and found a seat on the same platform, but it wasn't for another 10 minutes that an announcement was made to evacuate the train. I'd been right in the middle of my carriage, and it was a packed train - if it had gone up in flames, I wouldn't have been certain of getting out.

One of the biggest problems I see is getting over large bodies of water: the Severn Bridge, the Forth Bridge, the Solent, for our IoW member, the Mersey, the Thames at Dartford. If the means of crossing is controlled by people you don't want to meet, or crossing is being refused, you need alternates. Not many people carry boats in their GHB!

if you find your self on merseyside and stranded , look me up .i`m about 12 miles from liverpool :)
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

unsure wrote:
Arzosah wrote:The only trips I do fairly regularly that would cause me real trouble is the train up to Merseyside, about 270 miles each way. A map, even an A4 photocopy, would help, compass too. Wind up radio, purification tabs. But staying put until you know you've got no help coming would be important, this is real world and a complete breakdown is unlikely.
if you find your self on merseyside and stranded , look me up .i`m about 12 miles from liverpool :)

Thanks unsure! Thats the right side of the Mersey too, my remaining point of contact is north along the coast.
unsure

Post by unsure »

Arzosah wrote:
unsure wrote:
Arzosah wrote:The only trips I do fairly regularly that would cause me real trouble is the train up to Merseyside, about 270 miles each way. A map, even an A4 photocopy, would help, compass too. Wind up radio, purification tabs. But staying put until you know you've got no help coming would be important, this is real world and a complete breakdown is unlikely.

Thanks unsure! Thats the right side of the Mersey too, my remaining point of contact is north along the coast.[/quote

your welcome to the sofa anytime .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am set up to yomp it if it was that bad. I have a GHB in the boot,along with boots and hiking pole.All nicely tucked away under the secrecy board.My kit is very urban in appearance, so low key all the way.

Regarding folding bikes,I COULD put my Brompton in the boot,but you have to stay real.If you do want to acquire a folder though,Brompton is the original and best.If you ride one,you will understand.Like Bramble's son,I often use mine in conjunction with public transport,a superb solution.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I'm like Jansman. I'm set up to walk home too. But it would depend on the situation. If it were bad weather or a bombing that brought the area to a standstill, I'd probably opt to stay put and go for an hotel room for the night and worry about getting home the next day. If it were a train stoppage I'd opt for another form of transport or the hotel again. An evacuation or something more serious, I'd walk home. Whatever the case I would probably sit and have a coffee and mull things over.
I have a cash stash so there's no problem and these days, a lot of Taxi firms have apps that you can sign up to and pay for a taxi through that.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

There is a valet company I've seen advertising (though not for a while) where if you're too pissed to drive and you need to get you and your car home, you phone them, they tootle out on a tiny moped, which is then put in the boot of your car and they drive you home in your car, then tootle off on self same tiny moped. Or something like that. A quick google implies it might be something like a Monkey Bike: https://www.minibikecraze.co.uk/shop/bi ... tte-black/ I've certainly seen the odd person pootling around on a teeny tiny moped. Just a thought for those with well endowed boots! :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb