Motorhome prepping

Logistics and Transport
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Motorhome prepping

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

TopSod wrote:
Point worth mentioning on insulation, don’t use anything that is traditionally made for your loft, it’ll hold moisture and rot your van. Go for the reflective bubble stuff or similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reflective bubble stuff has a appalling U value ;) lots of hype on the van forums but none of the caravan / motorhome manufacturers use it... ;)
(Us site)

https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/294 ... t-Barriers

PIR is the way to go

https://www.planetinsulation.co.uk/ZCW3025.php

Or a decent underseal / cavity wax on the body mineral wool battened to prevent compression then a vapour barrier eg polythene ;) and decorative cladding :)

And don't forget the floor.......

(Guess who just sat the National Caravan Council energy efficiency and bsi safety certification course)

Most people also forget to ensure sufficient ventilation which will reduce condensation build up in the first place. don't forget you cook )butane has a high water content, as well as boiling rice / the kettle) sweat and shower in a 7ft x10ft X 6ft ISH box .... Also ensure sufficient gas drop holes as per the regs and easy to open exits so you can get out quick! And have a decent Carbon monoxide alarm installed as per the instructions... A lpg alarm isn't a bad idea either

A person in a sedimentary position in a comfortable environment temperature wise looses 500-750ml per day from sweat... If you have ever slept in a single skin tent on a cold night you will understand the reason for the name " a bath tub ground sheet ";)

I've come off a few forums on the subject as some Muppets just don't like being told their "wonderful creation" is a death trap waiting to happen from shoddy gas work just because you can use a rubber gas hose to run gas from a internal "box" to a cooker putting the hose through storage lockers etc doesn't mean you should for example ;) to frankly leathal electrical work and more body filler than a mot man can poke at the joys of forums :tinfoil
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Bit late for this thread, sorry been in hospital. If you fancy building your own Campervan or Motorhome they are two very good forums to help
www.sbmcc.co.uk

https://www.diymotorhome.co.uk/community/
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
(Guess who just sat the National Caravan Council energy efficiency and bsi safety certification course)

l

Well I'm now BS 3632 (2015) qualified and able to sign off residential park homes as compliant to the national caravan council and able to add the bsi kite mark (got my results back) :)

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Congratulations Yorks.

Is that just for Statics ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Congratulations Yorks.

Is that just for Statics ?
Yes statics as in 1 or 2 section residential dwelling

it's amazing what goes into them! Covered everything from the jockey wheel / chassis to the heating ventilation gas water Nd electrical safety and insulation / tree hugger energy saving standards ;)

But the basics re gas Safety echo across platforms be it a garden shed installation to a large holiday home

Such as calculating air free area vent values for a stove to ensure sufficient ventilation which is useable at home eg working out sufficient ventilation for a log burner / calor heater I was sat there with my prepper head on throughout ;)

And a added smug value work sent 3 of us and I was the only one to pass ;)

Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I often visit this thread because I believe I could truly contribute to a topic on Motorhome Prepping due to the fact I have been living in a two berth caravan with my wife and a labrador since April 22nd with no main power or water. However, this experience has been so harrowing, so extreme, so testing, my therapist says I will not be able to talk about this for at at least another 20 sessions.

Consider living, for any amount of time, in a small space with a loved one (and your dog) with extreme caution!
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
junmist

Post by junmist »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:I often visit this thread because I believe I could truly contribute to a topic on Motorhome Prepping due to the fact I have been living in a two berth caravan with my wife and a labrador since April 22nd with no main power or water. However, this experience has been so harrowing, so extreme, so testing, my therapist says I will not be able to talk about this for at at least another 20 sessions.

Consider living, for any amount of time, in a small space with a loved one (and your dog) with extreme caution!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Well done to the three of you I have a couple of friends who have also done this one with a cat not a dog the cat just about survived
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
the cat in the hat

Post by the cat in the hat »

I brought my motorhome at auction last year, so got it reasonably priced although i have done stuff to it like some welding and put in a little woodburner so I can not rely on gas if I cant access any, I lived in a double decker bus which I converted for a couple of years when my kids were smaller and I loved it but it was hard work and It was not very moveable. This truck is better for that, it is big enough for all my kids and animals and supplies but not like driving round a terraced house, My dream is to have a bit of land to be able to hide on though out of the city. At the moment if anything happened I would have to boondock which isnt particularly secure. I am interested to know what other people keep in their motorhomes in regard to prepping stuff.