Thoughts on an old banger for SHTF?

Logistics and Transport
sniper 55

Thoughts on an old banger for SHTF?

Post by sniper 55 »

I was doing a bit of checking or the car today and the thought occured to me that I might do better with a real old banger if the SHTF.
I'll explain my reasoning. The old banger (lets say a morris minor or old land rover) doesn't need clever computers to work, they are really simple to fix most things roadside with a few simple tools, unlike my modern car. The spare parts list is simple, a few bulbs, fan belt, plugs, and points, that'll keep you going for ages. They have better ground clearence than modern cars, many still have a starting handle which is handy if the battery runs low.
They have solid bumpers that can actually take a hit and not fold half the car around you, and no airbag issues if you have to ram something.
Now I know a lot depends on which SHTF situation was to happen, I'm thinking along the lines of a total apocalypse type situation.
I'm just thinking out loud, what are your thoughts?
shocker

Re: Thoughts on an old banger for SHTF?

Post by shocker »

300TDI Land Rover Discovery. Cheap as chips cos they are rot boxes, but if you want to get a SHTF motor then get welding, the parts are widely available and cheap and get one 97 or earlier and no ECUs to worry about except the alarm circuit which you dont really need.

I am fortunate in having worked in LR garages that I had a stock of Discos to equip my 87 Range Rover from and the knowledge to do it. Id anyone does want to go that way I can link them to pdfs of all the workshop manuals.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

I think you're spot on with favouring repairability over anything else. Shame I can't fix my glasses let alone a car. If I had the dosh to buy a specific SHTF car, it would be a simple flat bed truck. If you're travelling you'll want the option to take everything with you. I'd pile it high like those Afghan buses.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
shocker

Post by shocker »

Roof rack, trailer, or even cut down the Disco into a crew cab flatty, done a few and a few bob tail Rangeys. Not as much work as you would think. That 300TDI is the last incarnation of the BMC 2 and a half diesel engine that powered commercial vehicles for millions of miles since WW2. With a turbo.

Take a bit of time to port blend it and its a real performer. The 200 is less polished, a bit more industrial, arguably sturdier but more sought after for regular Landy conversions. Plus the Discos with those in are really rotten. Like nothing left to weld to.
seadog

Post by seadog »

My SHTF vehicle is an Eagle RV. It's based on a Ford Cortina Mk3, rock solid 2.0 ltr pinto engine engine. These can also be based on a land rover if you thought the diesel option is your thing. No rust, very basic, easy to fix, cheap to buy - there's a white one on ebay, (not mine, I've got a yellow one). Did I mention good fun too.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Think the type of car will be largely irrelevant after a couple of months post shtf all fuel will have been bought or plundered. A small city car might be more viable due to better fuel consumption...

Say a fiat panda 4x4

It does 45- 50mpg..

Its small ( can squeeze through bollards)

And can take a beating off road

Its light so easy to push / recover

Parts are cheap

The fiat fire engine is easy to work on and "safe" if the cambelt snaps nothing gets bent

Head gasket takes about 6 hours diy to replace
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
shocker

Post by shocker »

LR TDIs will run 20-30 mpg on all kinds of things, I rarely bought diesel for mine. Well filtered used cooking oils, used engine oils properly prepared, tallow used in industry if preheated. The list goes on. "Fuel" is everywhere.

The same is true of many older diesel engines, Merceded, Peugeot, again the list goes on.
Covert

Post by Covert »

I agree with Andy about the type of car, although making it easy to repair get parts for easily would be top of my list

My SHTF car is 20 year old volvo 850 estate with 203k miles on it
Bags of room and runs like a train
unsure

Post by unsure »

300 disco all day , who cares if its as rotten as a pear , its not like it would need to pass an mot . just start and go then be able to stop . ;)

so long as the chassis is solid , you can rivet everything else .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
shocker

Post by shocker »

A pre ECU volvo like a 240 estate would be a good choice but good luck finding one ! And diesel is a better choice as so many substitutes are available in an emergency.