The fun of cars....

Logistics and Transport
Yorkshire Andy

The fun of cars....

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Mrs andys car.. today as she was driving at low speed the brakes had a duck fit and "stopped working" :o

paniced and called into garage... "ohh it could cost upto £250 ish love"

Anyways she took me out tonight in it and managed to recreate the problem.... ABS Pump goes wappy as if the cars been driven on sheet ice and panics itself :evil:

So get onto my good mechanic friend and between him and Google having been rolling about under the car with a torch....turns out a "Reluctor ring" has rusted / snapped and lost a tooth or 2 Good news is

£5 part +1.99 for a new hub nut

Guess what im doing this weekend 2 Nuts to remove a bit of hammering to remove the old..../ sanding the end of the drive shaft clean/ and heating the new ring and pressing it on with a bit of wood and a hammer.....

Pays to have a good tool kit and a few skills when it comes to cars £14 vs £250 ish love is one hell of a saving (im replacing both sides at the front as the other side looks on its last legs too)

to give those none car savvy people some idea what im rambing about

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st- ... -ring.html
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Wales1

Re: The fun of cars....

Post by Wales1 »

Has anyone considered secure off road parking as part of their preps? (Or a secure and safe location to do repairs and maitenance-a BOL for the car as it were)
A few years ago I was living in a terraced house with on street parking and needed to do some small repairs on my veichle....which involved moving it round to my Fathers, luckliy the car was driveable. But since then i've always been very aware of the uses of a driveway.
unsure

Post by unsure »

sounds like your wife was quoted on a full drive shaft , with out knowing what car , can`t say if they were trying it on or not .
like you say , its good to be able to do it your self :)
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

A matiz found new full drive shafts for £55 :shock:

Know you need to drain and refil the gear box (found the full workshops manuals on line. So have all the required torque settings

:)

unsure

Post by unsure »

i`d say trying it on then . :)
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well all sorted on the quest of splitting the ball joint I nipped and split the lower ball joint on the lower arm so need a new one before Mot...

Oh and trying to avoid draining the gear box I tried doing it with the drive shaft in situe I got the ring on fine then trying to lever the hub onto the lower arm it pulled out dumping oil all over the drive :twisted:

unsure

Post by unsure »

sounds about right :lol: on the up side when was the gear oil last changed .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Not sure its only got 22500 miles on the clock glad I had some absorbant pads to hand ;)

but reading the intervals in the book its due a change every 20,000

(i blame the Americans phobia of Stick shifts)

but there was a bit of swarf on the magnetic filler plug so it really needs a full change when the weather gets better now to try and find the correct grade of oil as Euro Car parts, Comma, and the local car shop all bring up 75w-90w where as the Owners book which wasnt to hand yesterday shows 75w-85w so the 90 is a bit thick when warm over the book spec but its wet and slippy and the car drives like a dream.. She hasn't stopped smiling since it was fixed ;)