Winter in the car......

Logistics and Transport
Yorkshire Andy

Winter in the car......

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Whilst on the motorway today passed a broken down car woman sat up the verge (sensible) looked bloody frozen sat with a thin jacket on...

Mrs turned and looked smug in the knowledge she got a picnic rug for her car last month as "it's warm and water proof"

Might have gone overkill in mine with goretex bivvy and artic bag and about 6 foil blankets

Was 40 reported crashes this morning due to ice locally!
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Jamesey1981

Re: Winter in the car......

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I've also gone a bit overkill, tarps and heavy wool blankets, along with a load of other gear, space isn't a problem when you drive a pick up truck!

One thing that amazes me with some people though, I have gone a bit over the top, but I would never leave the house without being dressed for the conditions, even if I'm staying in my vehicle and in buildings I don't want to be changing a wheel in my shirtsleeves so I make sure that I have suitable clothing to be outside in the expected weather at least.
Makes me sad that some people can't be bothered or don't think to take even the slightest responsibility for their own safety.
Last edited by Jamesey1981 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I got a lift from a pal to the football the other week in atrocious weather and I knew both her and her grandson wouldn't have any gear with them so stuck a couple of foil blankets and festival poncho's in the V small bag I had. I had to leave my GHB as it would have been too hard to explain although I had full pockets. She knew I'd have a power bank on me from previous experience so when we got to the pub for a bit of prematch nosebag she asked to borrow it. She's a good friend but we're on opposite ends of the prepping spectrum and she does my head in. :lol: Oh, and we won too. :D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I'm no fan of foil blankets but they are better than naff all, my sister visited the smoke several years ago and got stranded on a station platform for several hours due to a train problem .... In driving snow she eventually remembered that big brother bullied her into taking it...

Her and her mate huddled up on a bench of the remote station with it till a replacement bus turned up...

She then cast it off and gave it to someone else who was waiting on a bus to a different destination who was thankfull

PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

My eldest, the 17yr old, the one who i didn't think listens to me but apprently does, is learning to drive. She has a car and one of the first things she wanted to put in it was a FAK and some blankets and a pack of water! She recalls breaking down when they were little girls but I had food, water and blankets to keep them happy till the nice breakdown man came! The next items she stocked her car with were a torch and some of those single use handwarmers that activate on opening. Once again, I am eating my words. Teenagers do pay attention at times! Ok she has covered the interior with stickers and bought some fairy lights for it in true lunatic fashion but at least she has got the breakdown survival basics in there ;)
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

PreppingPingu wrote:My eldest, the 17yr old, the one who i didn't think listens to me but apprently does, is learning to drive. She has a car and one of the first things she wanted to put in it was a FAK and some blankets and a pack of water! She recalls breaking down when they were little girls but I had food, water and blankets to keep them happy till the nice breakdown man came! The next items she stocked her car with were a torch and some of those single use handwarmers that activate on opening. Once again, I am eating my words. Teenagers do pay attention at times! Ok she has covered the interior with stickers and bought some fairy lights for it in true lunatic fashion but at least she has got the breakdown survival basics in there ;)
You must be both pleased and proud, maybe not about the fairy lights but the other stuff. Job well done.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Ohh fairy lights good prep broken down drape over car to make it more visible ;)

Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Here's me feeling smug about how well equipped I am in my truck, but it was icy as all hell this morning and when I went to get my de icer out of the crate of gear in the back the lock on my canopy was frozen up!
Think I'll add a lock de-icer to the kit in the main cabin, can have all the gear in the world but if you can't get it you're no better off than if you had nothing.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Ohh fairy lights good prep broken down drape over car to make it more visible ;)

And you can get battery operated ones!!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
sion_1990

Post by sion_1990 »

My de-icer got stuck in my car too yesterday, ended up mixing my own up out of some left over tequila that I'm never going to drink... :lol:

got the usual jumpers, blankets, water, food, tools etc in the car but I think the best (and possibly most overlooked) prep I did for this winter was a set of winter tyres. Never used them before (never been able to afford to have a spare set of wheels and tyres!) but they make a world of difference in the muddy lanes I commute through. For a long time I've just accepted parking in a bush as being a thing that happens when someone's coming far to fast the opposite way (usually a mum in a white range rover who thinks she needs the whole lane and doesn't know how to use the brakes!) but with these tyres on I can pull up much quicker and watch them park in a bush instead :lol: