ford mondeo estate?

Logistics and Transport
sniper 55

ford mondeo estate?

Post by sniper 55 »

I've been told that I might be getting a free ford mondeo estate (think it's a 2010 diesel) long story but it sounds in good nick What should I look out for?
Thanks
unsure

Re: ford mondeo estate?

Post by unsure »

ask if it`s not to cheeky .. has the fuel pump had any work and the injectors . the rest is run of the mill service type stuff .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

If it's free, absolutely nothing, anything that goes wrong you can scrap it if it's not worth fixing and you're up on the deal!
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
womble

Post by womble »

I've an 04 Turbo Diesel. Got it at 5 years old and it's running towards 200k now. I've had the hydraulics in the clutch go, and that was expensive because the cylinder is actually inside the housing, so it's a lot more work than usual (apparently) to fix. The design may have changed between mine and your prospective ride, but mine's got a thing called a "dual mass flywheel", which can wear out and is expensive to replace.

The other thing I had go wrong was a split turbo hose. That wasn't too dear.

On the whole I've been very happy with the car, and over the 7 years I've had it, it's been adequately reliable and economical, while still having enough grunt for civilised motorway cruising. I can't see a newer model tracking back on any of that.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Rattle from the aux belt tensioner means it's on its last legs and needs replacing before it throws the belt
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Thanks everybody. It's had a full service history from what I can gather, and done
around 120k miles.
My current motor is showing it's age a bit (starting to look tatty after being hit twice in tescos car park and once in the hospital car park, and I park very carfully too) and I know it's going to need a few things for the MOT, the motor (mazda) is good but it's a bit thirsty as well being petrol.
I'd prefere something smaller but I have to carry four people, shopping and a wheelchair fairly often so I can't get away with anything really small.
Thanks again.
sethorly

Post by sethorly »

Ford Mondeo is best car I've owned, and I've had all makes. It's just perfect. Not enough seats for my brood now though. Enjoy your new motor!
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

womble wrote:I've an 04 Turbo Diesel. Got it at 5 years old and it's running towards 200k now. I've had the hydraulics in the clutch go, and that was expensive because the cylinder is actually inside the housing, so it's a lot more work than usual (apparently) to fix. The design may have changed between mine and your prospective ride, but mine's got a thing called a "dual mass flywheel", which can wear out and is expensive to replace.

The other thing I had go wrong was a split turbo hose. That wasn't too dear.

On the whole I've been very happy with the car, and over the 7 years I've had it, it's been adequately reliable and economical, while still having enough grunt for civilised motorway cruising. I can't see a newer model tracking back on any of that.
Like Womble said anything clutch related makes your eyes water with the bill, at least it did mine. Injectors as well, but otherwise very reliable, mine never let me down.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

Area 4
greyman

Post by greyman »

Had two Mondeo's and loved them,earlier 1.8td R-reg diesel was awesome,made regular 1000 mile round trips to France and was getting 50mpg, a later 2.0 diesel 53plate was fast and loads of room and averaged 40+ mpg just mooching about,the clutch started to go on that noticed by a slight whistling noise and was a £1000 to change. Got rid for a focus diesel ,biggest load of crap going.
Free Mondeo you can't go wrong,and the heated front screen should be made a standard feature on all cars.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Well it flew through the MOT, it does need a service but I'll get that sorted in the next week or so, when things slack off a bit.