Thinking of a new motor - Navara

Logistics and Transport
Meta

Thinking of a new motor - Navara

Post by Meta »

I am thinking of getting myself a Nissan Navara & customising it with a couple of bits :twisted:

I wanted to know if anyone has experience of them? I'm not looking at using it as a BOV more a family outing / mountain biking / camping vehicle. My planned upgrades would be:

1.75 inch suspension lift
big / mudder tyres
bike rack for on top of cab (I know the bars are too wide for most bike racks but I should be able to adapt)
checker plate lid on back with smaller rack for kids bikes
reversing cameras as it will inevitably need to be parked in Tescos at some point

Anyone tried any of these before?
own your situation before it owns you
Slazanger

Re: Thinking of a new motor - Navara

Post by Slazanger »

My neighbour had one as a company car and absolutely loved it.. he traded it in though for something a little more efficient on the motorways.. that was his only complaint about them a tad thirsty on long journeys
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Drop the reversing camera and fit a tow bar . Then who cares whats behind you .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
unsure

Post by unsure »

unless you have very deep pockets , look else were , . toyota invincible are a better more reliable option .
have a look around and the list of faults on a navara are endless , every thing from throwing number 3 con rod and piston out the side of the block to failed heads at the first sign of any over heat issue . like i said look around .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Meta

Post by Meta »

poppypiesdad wrote:Drop the reversing camera and fit a tow bar . Then who cares whats behind you .

J

That will work :geek:
Meta

Post by Meta »

unsure wrote:unless you have very deep pockets , look else were , . toyota invincible are a better more reliable option .
have a look around and the list of faults on a navara are endless , every thing from throwing number 3 con rod and piston out the side of the block to failed heads at the first sign of any over heat issue . like i said look around .
will take in to consideration thanks, am just not a fan of the invincible for some reason. Can't put my finger on the reason, just not for me I think.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

unsure wrote:unless you have very deep pockets , look else were , . toyota invincible are a better more reliable option .

Add cam belt and tensioner issues

From memory a cambelt cost a mate a small fortune
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Navaras run a cam CHAIN not belt . Probably how so much damage is done when they go . ;)
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
unsure

Post by unsure »

Meta wrote:
will take in to consideration thanks, am just not a fan of the invincible for some reason. Can't put my finger on the reason, just not for me I think.
ford ranger , they are all much the same these days . maybe a L200 animal
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Absolutely adore my Navara. I'm not fond of driving at all and hate being in small cars. I feel safe in it and have a good view. Ours came with reversing cameras and sat nav as standard. We took it on a camping holiday for the second time this year, but as I like to live in comfort we ended up with a roof box on top. Lots of little cubby holes, drinks holders and plenty of space in the doors for prepping bits and bobs. There are also various options for the pickup, ours has the rollershutter. I think the only thing that bothered me was the lack of somewhere to put tools etc. Hubby built a box for in the back of ours which is bolted in as few of the boxes you can buy ready built will fit in with a roller shutter top. Parking can be an issue as they are quite long and tend to take one and a bit spaces lengthwise in supermarket car parks, and I find it much easier to handle than our old Freelander. It handles well, fuel consumption is pretty good we averaged 39mpg on a just under 300 mile journey mostly on the motorway. It does pretty well fuel wise running around too. It is classed as a commercial vehicle so we can't just turn up at the local recycling place without a licence from the local Council but it has also been great for carting around free pallets for firewood, DIY stuff and moving furniture. No worries about damaging interiors as you would with an estate car.
Growing old disgracefully!