Vehicle preps

Logistics and Transport
jansman

Re: Vehicle preps

Post by jansman »

preparedsurrey wrote:
jansman wrote:
Both my Wife's car and mine are new and newish, and don't need to be looked at between services. Anything is wrong, like a lightbulb, the car tells you. And that suits me as I hate cars, do not profess any mechanical expertise, so leave it to those who do. :lol:
With respect that's a bit silly in my opinion, fluid or coolant leaks can develop at any time, engines start to use a little oil. Waiting until you get a warning light will usually be too late to avoid expensive damage. The same applies to tyre pressures and condition - the car may tell you if the pressure is low but it won't tell you if that last pothole took a big chunk out of the tyre wall or knocked the tracking out sufficiently for the tyres to begin to wear unevenly, a quickly weekly check would let you spot potential problems before they turn into bigger ones.
Perhaps I am a little flippant. In 30 minutes I shall start out for work. I always walk round the motor as it runs for a moment, and look at tyres an lights. In fact when I fill up later I shall check the air in the tyres.

My earlier point though, is that we are not in the 1970's. The cars are better. Even a ten year old car is better than a brand new British Leyland was back then. My dad was always pratting about with his cars on Sundays, as was every other bloke who had a car on our street.

Apart from the above mentioned checks, both our cars have a proper service early Spring. Then they have have a pre Winter check in late Autumn. In between we are aware of problems ( which on two new cars has not happened yet in ten years) and we have RAC cover for all events.

Some blokes like messing with motors, but I ain't one of 'em! A well known motoring journalist, Jeremy Clarkson, said something like, " I am paid to drive cars, not fix them", which sums me up. That job is for those who can and want to do it.A lot of folks like a nice piece of beef for Sunday dinner, but they don't slaughter the beast first. You leave that to blokes like me! Each man to his Job. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Nice to see so many posts and feedback.

I'm not a fan of messing about with cars generally, I used to be though. Studied motor vehicle mechanics when i left school and thoroughly enjoyed pulling apart and renovating an old Land Rover we had a few years ago.

Now though i hate getting my hands oily!

I had to do a service on our van last year in the snow and rain, it was around Christmas and the oil light came on, when i checked it was barely on the dipstick and very gritty, so there was no point in just topping it up and leaving the old sludge in.
Because of the time of year i couldn't get in anywhere within a week, but needed to use the van, so had to get the parts from a local supplier and do it myself. I ended up cold, soaking wet, covered in oil, engine grime and greasy horribleness and i swore i'd never do it again!

It's nice to have the knowledge and ability to do it, but i'd much rather pay someone else!

I was ok about doing the checks though, mainly because of the journey and the remoteness of where i was going, would the van have been ok if i'd not checked it? yeah probably. Would i have slapped myself for not checking if i'd had a preventable breakdown in the middle of Wales? oh yes.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Guess what I'm doing at the moment.....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

Making a traffic light?
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Getting a cylinder head skimmed and hoping the block is ok?

It is good when the fault is obvious though :)
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Thinking;

'I really wish i'd not started this....'

:D
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Image

Guess what I'm doing at the moment.....
Thinking;

'I really wish i hadn't started this...'

jansman

Post by jansman »

yorkshirewolf wrote:Thinking;

I share your sentiment! :lol: I used to prat about with the old scrappers I used to drive, but I am too damned old for lying under cars.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
unsure

Post by unsure »

jansman wrote:
yorkshirewolf wrote:Thinking;

I share your sentiment! :lol: I used to prat about with the old scrappers I used to drive, but I am too damned old for lying under cars.

your never to old for lying under cars ,,,, its the getting back up thats the problem :lol:
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
metatron

Post by metatron »

People always want these big 4X4 and fancy things, there is something to be said for buying a cheap 1980's Mini Mayfair where everything is super simple and using it as a project car, stripping it down and then rebuilding it. Everything is small enough that no expensive tools are really needed and at the end you own something that is a classic (keeps its value), that you know inside out.