Diesel pumps could run dry according to RAC Foundation

Logistics and Transport
Tocsin

Diesel pumps could run dry according to RAC Foundation

Post by Tocsin »

grenfell

Re: Diesel pumps could run dry according to RAC Foundation

Post by grenfell »

The comment in that article about " being at the mercy of the global market" seemed a strange one. Irrespective of where the fuel is produced or used it's a part of the global market anyway. Price wise the cost is tied to the global market and to an extent so is supply. If there is a shortage prices tend to rise and there is nothing to stop any producer from supplying the more profitable sectors of the market. It's naive to think that if this country ramped up production it would all go for domestic consumption rather than being sold for potentially higher profits on the world market.
Ultimately the only real answer is to cut consumption.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

The cynical part of me has been pondering this a bit since this morning. Diesel prices have as we know fallen below that of petrol recently based partly on the wholesale fall in oil prices . There is some discussion as to why from reduced economic activity worldwide to increased production from the Saudis but whatever the cause there seems to be a glut at least at the moment. Now the cynic in me thinks that even rumours of diesel shortages could very well cause prices to rise again.
unsure

Post by unsure »

grenfell wrote:The cynical part of me has been pondering this a bit since this morning. Diesel prices have as we know fallen below that of petrol recently based partly on the wholesale fall in oil prices . There is some discussion as to why from reduced economic activity worldwide to increased production from the Saudis but whatever the cause there seems to be a glut at least at the moment. Now the cynic in me thinks that even rumours of diesel shortages could very well cause prices to rise again.
this could also trigger panic buying , me , i think i`ll stick to veg oil for as long as i can
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

On the subject of veg oil, I'm assuming you don't just pour it straight in the diesel tank?
unsure

Post by unsure »

PreparedKent wrote:On the subject of veg oil, I'm assuming you don't just pour it straight in the diesel tank?

oddly enough , i do . open filler cap and pour it in , drive off .

in colder weather i do mix it with diesel and a shot of two stroke oil .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

PreparedKent wrote:On the subject of veg oil, I'm assuming you don't just pour it straight in the diesel tank?
Do your homework first before you try this unless you have a disposable vehicle, modern common rail diesels as a rule do not like running on veg, in fact most of them struggle to stay reliable running on pump diesel!
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
unsure

Post by unsure »

i have said in the past , mine is an old 300 tdi [1994] .the older 200 tdi will run on just veg as well .
your quite right in that the newer common rail engines don`t like it at , if you want to run veg then do the research for your engine .
PreparedKent

Post by PreparedKent »

I don't think its a possibility in mine, I've got a 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 TDi, 138bhp. Which apparently is a Common Rail engine (not that I know **** all about cars)

Put it this way, I'm not going to try for fear of my missus cutting my balls off while I'm asleep!!
unsure

Post by unsure »

better you don`t try .it`ll only break down on you . the best engines to run veg oil are the old ones with 4 or more seperate injector pipes . the merc engines are great on it .