The return of rail

Logistics and Transport
Tocsin

The return of rail

Post by Tocsin »

A big weekend in the Scottish Borders with the opening of the Borders Railway. A 35 mile stretch of the former Waverley Line going from Edinburgh to Tweedbank (next to Galashiels). Although fuel is less expensive at the moment, in years to come as prices rise and availability becomes an issue, this line will provide a lifeline to the central Borders. A feasibility study has been announced to look at any extension to Hawick (a further 18 miles south), although if it happened it would be many years away. A wrong by Dr. Beeching partially righted! :)
Arzosah

Re: The return of rail

Post by Arzosah »

That's great! Offers a lot more flexibility to all concerned.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Ernest Marples was the transport Minister at the time of Beeching who was an ICI chemist. Now Marples Ridgeway were a big construction company that built motorways. and there is a conspiracy theory for you all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Marples
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
CynicalSurvival

Post by CynicalSurvival »

Sure... fantastic that the area has their railway back. So many places lost theirs. As we move towards the end of oil, it will become increasingly necessary.
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

A lot of money is being spent on reinstating the Rail network in the uk, The Swindon to Kemble line has recently been redouble after BR removed it. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28925722
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

My hubby loves trains and we have a friends and family railcard. Some lines in Gloucestershire are being updated which we appreciate but one evening my train home from Worcester was cancelled. Not best pleased as I had to leave work early disrupting my class to catch the one train to Shrub Hill then another home from there. At 10.00 at night. There was only one other sober person there at the station and a herd of drunken tramps wandering around. That happened too many times so before I got sacked or mugged, I started driving there instead. Rather disappointing and frightening.