Family car options, BOV advice - discuss please!

Logistics and Transport
preparedsurrey

Re: Family car options, BOV advice - discuss please!

Post by preparedsurrey »

Diesel Transits upto mk5 were hard to kill, sadly the LEZ emmision zone means you need a newish van to be able to avoid the £200 a day charge. A lack of complex electronics apart from on the Lucas epic pump versions means there is very little to go wrong. Parts are cheap too. Gearboxes don't fail like on the Renault, Citroen etc range
The Di will run on anything flammable old engine oil, kerosene, veg oil, ATF etc when fitted with the Bosch pump

Luckily my van is on lpg so I'm exempt from the emisions zone.

There are kits available to retro fit a fully mechanical injection system to the mk6s and I think the mk7s meaning you don't need to plug in a computer every week to clear the faults
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Sorry to resurrect my crappy thread - but just an update.

I've explored lots of options as much as I can. Even though I can't find anything that's absolutely perfect, I have narrowed down my best compromises.

I wanted 4x4 but decided I couldn't afford the maintenance and fuel costs, but I've sort of changed my mind. I think my best option is now going to be a (possibly Japanese imported) Mazda/Ford Bongo/Friendee/Freda. They're mostly 4x4, have lots of passenger seats and plenty of storage space for kit in case of evacuation or family holiday. It has a powerful and highly rated 2.5 litre diesel motor (even though I'm not usually a fan of Fords, this seems like a good example). I'd like one with the pop top, which even though electric and over engineered, is very useful to sleep my several kids if we go camping or if we just need to put them down for a nap. What I like about it too is that it's a proper camper, with a double bed made up of all the seats, but has nothing that I don't need. No cooker and fridge and sink and all that crap. Just the bed - anything else I can carry portable.

Anyone got any experience of these things? There are other similar cars that I've been watching on eBay too, like the Nissan Serina/Largo/Elgrand or the Toyota Noah/Ganvia and the Honda Stepwagon.

Thoughts?
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
raz

Post by raz »

I was looking at a Bongo/Freda.. ford might not be peoples go to BoV choice but the parts are readily available in the UK so i think there a good option as they are fairly cheap to fix and maintain.. i just picked up a Freelander project got a lot of work to do but they do good mileage and i like the TD4 engine :)
unsure

Post by unsure »

raz wrote:I was looking at a Bongo/Freda.. ford might not be peoples go to BoV choice but the parts are readily available in the UK so i think there a good option as they are fairly cheap to fix and maintain.. i just picked up a Freelander project got a lot of work to do but they do good mileage and i like the TD4 engine :)
the freda / bongo .are very common for the heads going on them and i think you will have a hard time finding a replacement with out selling your soul .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
raz

Post by raz »

had'nt heard about the heads goin on them glad i didnt invest.. petrol freelanders have the same problem id stay well clear it's a ball ache swapping cylinder heads even when u can get the parts. not something id want to worry about in a SHTF scenario
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

I spoke to my mechanic and he said that the bongo is a good move. But he said it all comes down to the engine, as you say, the cylinder head going is possible and isn't cheap to fix.

In fact, my mechanic said that if he didn't know the car he would just refuse the cylinder head job all together, because if the engine was damaged beyond the head then you wouldn't know until after you'd spent the money on it.

I'll be looking for one with FSH and a very nice engine, with nice coloured coolant and oil and without any knocks and rattles. I'll pay for it I bet, but the thought of buying one that's been abused makes me quiver.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

What about a Mitsubishi Delica the L200 or L300 similar sort of thing?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

dangerman wrote:I spoke to my mechanic and he said that the bongo is a good move. But he said it all comes down to the engine, as you say, the cylinder head going is possible and isn't cheap to fix.

strange this has just come up my cousin just scrapped her bongo due to the head....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:strange this has just come up my cousin just scrapped her bongo due to the head....
Thanks for that... :/ Actually, I'm not too worried about the head personally. I think a lot of cylinder head's go because of overheating, they're allow and warp instantly so I believe. I'll be checking that the engine is all good and then I'll be taking it in for a full service - oil, coolant, cambelt etc. It's an expensive initial investment but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

However, I think a new engine would only cost in the region of a about a grand. There are occasional ones appearing on eBay from other broken Bongos. A new cylinder head kit is about £600 and then labour would be about £400 (pure guess) too.

Why did your cousin scrap it instead of selling it on eBay? There are broken engined Bongos selling for over £1000.
preparedsurrey wrote:What about a Mitsubishi Delica the L200 or L300 similar sort of thing?
I like them! The Delica and the L300 that it, the L200 is a 4x4 isn't it? Can't sleep in that. But my wife doesn't like how they look anyway. :/
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Re the failing head gaskets on imports it's quite common for the batteries to be buggered and so they get left running for hours when loading and unloading- obviously nobody bothers checking the temperature gauges unless they stop...