Traffic Gridlock M62

Logistics and Transport
Vespa

Traffic Gridlock M62

Post by Vespa »

There was an accident this morning on M62 between Junctions 21 and 22. I sort of live between the two junctions, (sort of)

Long story short both sides of the motorway have been shut for the best part of the day, traffic throughout Milnrow and Rochdale has been almost gridlocked, traffic through the north side of Oldham has been really heavy adding hours to short journeys. Traffic at one point had backed up past Huddersfield Junction 23 and in large parts of Huddersfield traffic became heavy again adding hours to short journey times. Traffic in and through Ripponden is gridlocked.

Some businesses haven't received deliveries, some parents are really struggling to pick their kids up from school/nursery etc. Some people didn't get to work this morning.

All that chaos many many miles away from an accident on the motorway for so many hours. Nothing new here, it happens all the time on the M62 and many others I guess.

Fortunately it's summer and not very cold, it's light till quite late and there was only one accident.

I shudder to think what might happen if there were many many more accidents, in the winter on the far busier M25. Would the authorities be able to cope with ten or twenty such incidents and keep people moving homewards, keep food deliveries to the super markets?
tanstaafl

Re: Traffic Gridlock M62

Post by tanstaafl »

Vespa wrote: Would the authorities be able to cope with ten or twenty such incidents and keep people moving homewards, keep food deliveries to the super markets?
Having been a bus driver for longer than I care to remember :D ,I find "The Authorities" tend to make some incidents worse, I have lost count of the number of minor shunts where traffic is moving fine round the accident until the police turn up and invariably close a lane off causing massive chaos, perfectly understandable when needed, but no need to do it every time...............I know its probably a set procedure but a bit of common sense could be used ....................... :roll:
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Risk assessments and Health and Safety dictate a safe working area. I expect they also have to fill in a risk assessment before they can do anything.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Vespa

Post by Vespa »

There's a BBC mockumentary speculating on how little it would take to bring the countries transport system to it's knees.

http://www.walltowall.co.uk/program/the ... ed_29.aspx

It's on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6BxSbx1Fm0
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Its bad enough when they close the ouse bridge to high sided vehicles in high winds.......

remember a few years ago a lass i know who works between Castleford and pontefract whos normal 30 minute commute home towards Hull took her 6-7 hours in winter with next to no fuel.... and needing a wee :lol:

theres me smug with a 24 hr ration pack drinks and a warm blanket (upgraded to a BOB type bag in winter)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine