Realistic BOV choices

Logistics and Transport
Tackleberry

Re: Realistic BOV choices

Post by Tackleberry »

I have just picked up a cheap P38a Range Rover, needs work but will run on Veg oil, plus is big enough to sleep in. Just got to fit it out on the cheap now.
metatron

Post by metatron »

If you have the room you can buy a working 90's Land Rover Discovery for £600 and for under 1k you can buy another three non working ones for parts.
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

I have a slightly different perspective on the BOV as presented.

Mechanically I have the need covered with a newer model SUV as a daily driver and an older EMP-proof model in reserve for rough duty, towing and bashing about.

If SHTF the last thing one will be doing is running about either in a vehicle, on a bike or on foot making a target of themselves. You will not be going to work, you will not be visiting your pals or running to the store twice daily and you will not be wanting to leave your BOL and supplies unprotected.

As a retired person I stay at home working on the homestead, keeping things in repair and living a quiet life. It is much the same life I would live on the homestead if SHTF, as long as the Golden Horde had not swept through. I go to the village for supplies once a week with the occasional run to town for a meet up with the other geezers. That would not happen SHTF, so I would be using zero fuel. Where would I need to go?

Right now, in "normal times" I do not put 50 miles on my vehicles each week. It is not unusual for me to use less than 10 US gallons of fuel each month. I use more fuel in my tractor than in my cars.

SHTF you may be surprised at how little you use a vehicle of any type.
Tackleberry

Post by Tackleberry »

My thinking is a BOV is just that, bug out. Once in position you are only going to use it if you become compromised or as a standby generator for charging kit.
I like the idea of a trailer as some of the guys on YouTube have, just so it can be kept loaded with some kit.
My Range Rover is in use as my off road ambulance at the moment so it's slowly being brought up to decent nick.
lee3

Post by lee3 »

Anyone using an electric bicycle at the moment? The tech seems to have come on a long way!....a colleague has a vaguely legal one he claims can hit 30mph with pedal power assistance and built it himself....its quiet and I'm wondering about the feasibility of recharging from a solar panel and using the batteries as daily power source with the bike a get out of jail card? ....I've been promised a go on it so I will save any opinions until then! ....but it does look cool!
I'm in area 1
jonb

Post by jonb »

All good points.

My own point of view is two vehicles , van set up for carrying kit , motorbike for scouting the way ahead and "shopping".

Flexibility is key if it all goes wrong and keeping your options open, however as mentioned you must use what you have at the time.

As an ex 4x4 owner ( and miss it ) , how many times have you seen a "Chelsea tractor" driver get stuck or cause an issue in bad weather through lack of training and knowledge of the vehicles and their own limitations ?

Choose your vehicle , learn about its maintenance and if required take lessons to improve your skills.
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaximkaQxo

A 4x4 isn't always the best option. Choice of tyres makes a difference.
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

That is partly true,

That comparison is like cutting a man's leg off and challenging him to an a$$ kicking contest!

Any vehicle does better with good winter tires than with worn out slick street treads, especially on glare ice as was in the clip..

How would the 4wd do with good winter tires?

I live in an area that has snow cover for a good part of the winter and have found there is a scale of abilities with vehicles just like anything else. A nice little front wheel drive car with good snow tires is much better than a 2wd pickup truck, and in spite of the downplay 4wd in any form, with good tires, is better than 2wd with any tires.

And the most important part of the traction equation is the nut behind the steering wheel.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

lee3 wrote:Anyone using an electric bicycle at the moment? The tech seems to have come on a long way!....a colleague has a vaguely legal one he claims can hit 30mph with pedal power assistance and built it himself....its quiet and I'm wondering about the feasibility of recharging from a solar panel and using the batteries as daily power source with the bike a get out of jail card? ....I've been promised a go on it so I will save any opinions until then! ....but it does look cool!
I don't use one, but I understand the 'charge time versus usage time' is a bit poo

But as always, I'm probably wrong.........

You're right tho, they are cool :D
Knowledge is power
metatron

Post by metatron »

I guess if money is no object, this is a realist option.

https://youtu.be/XVk9WzRkXt4