Realistic BOV choices

Logistics and Transport
notadog

Re: Realistic BOV choices

Post by notadog »

If we really had to bug out, I'd take our T4 camper van. It's got cooking and sleeping facilities and a leisure battery for lighting. It would only be practical if the roads were clear though, but I guess that goes for anything that's not 4x4 with a winch.
On the Internet, no one knows you are a dog.
thebikewanderer

Post by thebikewanderer »

My preference is an off-road motorbike (see mine below), I've been riding for years and I can rebuild one from scratch if needs be, not only will it use very little fuel (I can travel over 200 miles on a full tank), it can also squeeze through traffic in the event of a gridlock. I go out riding greenlanes as often as I can with my camping gear on so I know how capable it can be off-road too. For me there is no other vehicle that is as versatile as a bike. I only have myself to think about so carrying multiple passengers isn't an issue.

Steve20vt

Post by Steve20vt »

I've been thinking about this for a while and one of my concerns is modern electronics. This leads me to something old and diesel. Like late 80s early 90s Peugeot / ford / Landy / merc stuff. It doesn't rely
on fragile ecus and components that can easily be fried.
Basic Diesel engines will keep going through emp exposure (might have to bump it off) but generally won't let you down. Plus diesel fuel can be stored longer than petrol.
Plus truck engines come with compressors that you can run air tools from or other power take offs for running hydraulic equipment with or pumping water / generator.

I'm thinking of building a vehicle to keep out in the back yard that will do one trip to the BOL in a proper shtf situation, tough reliable, big enough to get the family and supplies in and be secure and robust enough to get through worse case scenarios, like obstacles blocking the way or an enemy trying to gain access.
Or am I too paranoid?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Steve20vt wrote:I'vtor.

I'm thinking of building a vehicle to keep out in the back yard that will do one trip to the BOL in a proper shtf situation, tough reliable, big enough to get the family and supplies in and be secure and robust enough to get through worse case scenarios, like obstacles blocking the way or an enemy trying to gain access.
Or am I too paranoid?

Nice dream sadly your going to have your hands full keeping it ready to go at a moments notice

Battery will discharge / degrade in storage

Tyres will flat spot perish / loose pressure

Brakes will sieze be it foot or handbrake and brake pipes corrode / split

Modern fuel is hydroscopic ( due to bio ethsnol blending) so will adsorb water leading to internal corrosion of injector system / pump / metal fuel tank

Locks will sieze

Rats / mice will chew anything or make a nest in your drivers seat

Coolant will degrade leading to radiator core / head gasket interface corrosion

Brake fluid will adsorb water

Wipers will perish

Bodywork will rust

Suspension rubbers / seals will harden / split

Cam / aux belts will harden and go brittle

Oxidisation will set in on windings of starter motor / alternator...

Solonoid on starter motor might also stick.....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Steve20vt wrote:I've been thinking about this for a while and one of my concerns is modern electronics. This leads me to something old and diesel. Like late 80s early 90s Peugeot / ford / Landy / merc stuff. It doesn't rely
Basic Diesel engines will keep going through emp exposure (might have to bump it off) but generally won't let you down. Plus diesel fuel can be stored longer than petrol.
Plus truck engines come with compressors that you can run air tools from or other power take offs for running hydraulic equipment with or pumping water / generator.

Or am I too paranoid?
What about a used ex-army armoured vehicle? They can be picked up (not cheap sadly) but you'd have something tough maybe an FV432 or Saracen, or maybe the old Humber "pig" if they are still about, the ones used in Ireland were up armoured if I remember rightly.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Steve20vt wrote:I've been thinking about this for a while and one of my concerns is modern electronics. This leads me to something old and diesel. Like late 80s early 90s Peugeot / ford / Landy / merc stuff. It doesn't rely

Or am I too paranoid?
Setting aside questions about what you are actually prepping for and whether such a large investment of time and money in a BOV is right for you, the problem with this plan is keeping such vehicles going. I ran an electro-mechanical Citroen BX TZD for years until the supply of spare, cannibalised and cobbled parts simply dried up. Had I the right parts I could still be running it - I had bought it for GBP30 and did a front-to-back rebuild of critical systems, but there comes a point when you simply can't get the right bits any longer.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

If you had indoor storage then something like an RB44 or 4x4 Bedford RL? would do the trick. Before anybody else mentions it the brakes on the RB44 don't like being unused for long periods, I think they used to pull to one side. This lead to them getting a seriously bad reputation - however I was talking to someone who runs one everyday who said they had never been a problem for him and it was mostly when the vehicles had been parked stationary for months on end issues occurred.

Being ex military parts supply should be good and you should be able to stockpile most conceivable spares to keep going a long long time.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
Steve20vt wrote:I'vtor.

Or am I too paranoid?

Nice dream sadly your going to have your hands full keeping it ready to go at a moments notice

Battery will discharge / degrade in storage

Tyres will flat spot perish / loose pressure

Brakes will sieze be it foot or handbrake and brake pipes corrode / split

Modern fuel is hydroscopic ( due to bio ethsnol blending) so will adsorb water leading to internal corrosion of injector system / pump / metal fuel tank

Locks will sieze

Rats / mice will chew anything or make a nest in your drivers seat

Coolant will degrade leading to radiator core / head gasket interface corrosion

Brake fluid will adsorb water

Wipers will perish

Bodywork will rust

Suspension rubbers / seals will harden / split

Cam / aux belts will harden and go brittle

Oxidisation will set in on windings of starter motor / alternator...

Solonoid on starter motor might also stick.....
Never seems to be a concern in the Walking Dead or other Hollywood offerings ;)
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

It really depends on budget and terrain I think.

So I am looking at a VW Caddy Multi as a stealth BOV!

Anyone got one?