road Trailer lighting... law...?

Logistics and Transport
Hoipoloi

Re: road Trailer lighting... law...?

Post by Hoipoloi »

I'll tell you something that really annoys me, and apologies of a sort if there's anyone here that does it but......
Those people that buy a pack of multi-coloured reflectors and then stick whatever colour they fancy wherever they fancy :evil:
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

There is No lid yet..... awaiting angle bar to arrive from friendly engineer asked him today and he's waiting till his firm puts an order in to save me £15 carrier fees (so i cant complain)

once i get the angle on and welded im going to do a flat marine ply lid about 1/2" thick with 1 1/2" framing timber to stiffen it underneath then edge with ally angle secure with 3 stainless ball race hinges with hinges bolted on with wing nuts so i can remove it fully if i need to to carry longer items...

and lock it with a couple of padlocks (i made the thing about 6" higher than i need to so i have enough room :lol: )

as for reflectors i agree on the colours but the Good old EEC has poked even more confusion with the ECE regs with hauliers fitting all manor of colours to the HGV seen Red Yellow and White tape on HGV trailer rears...

I added some to my car a while ago red on both doors and on the upper parts of the boot lid and the boot trim plastic

(idea for the high marking on the boot is the reflectors are at the bottom of the bumper and if your stood behind the car at night you cover them when you stand there ....

And I'd always go for ECE approved tape......

none ECE left genuine ECE (e) marked stuff right... there is no comparison

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

Yes regs say reflectors have to be on a non-moveable part of the vehicle hence why they end up being low down on the bumper. They are the same on my van.
I fitted these LED strips to the lower edge of the tailgate and they operate with a mercury switch so only come on when the tailgate is lifted (and side lights are on):

There was already some red tape on the side doors being as the van is ex AA. I don't think it's the good stuff though.
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Hoipoloi wrote:Yes regs say reflectors have to be on a non-moveable part of the vehicle hence why they end up being low down on the bumper.

thats the original fit reflectors on my trailer been naughty as the tail flap drops covering the rear lights as it does :roll:

likewise many of the VAG car range with door reflectors...

i did get some red led strip but it was crap quailty so didnt fit it to the car boot lid

Way i see it the roads at night especially can be a very dangerous place to be so the more visible the better :mrgreen:

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got my steel yesterday . Cleaned it up last night solvwnt wiped it and cold galved it ..

Today I cut it to size and got the welder out

Tack welded it in place. Then removed the wood and fully welded it on both sides ground the welds up

And the frame is now sat in the workshop having been smothered in hammerite

Tomorrow I plan to sand all the wood again and varnish again

Pic taken just after tack welding

Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

Nice work, can't wait to see what it looks like with the lid on :)

And where did you get the sunshine from?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got all welds flatted up and a couple re ground and touched up wood sanded and varnished

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Oh I had to import the sun shine the next door neighbour was not happy with a 9 inch angle grinder and generator on and off all afternoon guess who is not getting cheap electric if the s*** hits the fan? ;-)

poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

But on the downside , now they know who has a genny ............
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Got no option in the workshop there is a small power supply which does the lights and chest freezer. .

Hook any substantial power tool up and the breaker (which matches the armoured cable supply trips (as it should [b curve 16a 2.5mm^2 at 50m run swa cable wired to the Consumer unit] if the chest freezer was running and you turned on the old fluro lights it would trip (solved with modern soft start Florry lights)

That said he probably thinks its a petrol stihl saw

Used the generator for about 3 years + but doubt the neighbours have gathered what exactly it is between the petrol mower etc