road Trailer lighting... law...?

Logistics and Transport
Yorkshire Andy

Re: road Trailer lighting... law...?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Can just see an entire family hanging on the back at the end of a holiday and it still not moving even with a tired 4 year old in a tantrum jumping on the lid whilst the rest of us pull down.... :lol:

how you mount the struts? as most cars are ball and socket rather than open eyelet?

managed to get the hinges fully mounted tonight not cut the bolts off yet but will do in due course and swap for nylocks when i do so they don't rattle loose...

had to pick another tin of varnish up tonight and got a gloss roller to do the lid with....

raided the scrap skip at work for the aluminium for the spreader plates bonded down with panel adhesive then the bolts tightened up need to add a couple of screws to the corners just to pull them down tight,...

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

Best photo I can find at the moment. An 'L' bracket made of aluminium, hole drilled through the strut cup, nut and bolt fastening the two together with a few washers where needed. A bit primitive but as there is unlikely to be much wear it does the job (it's a plastic cup on these struts as well).

For 'cup' read 'socket' :)
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Thanks for that will start with some off a hatchback and see how I get on...

Got the rubber seal today pull down catches and a basic lock

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Been to the scrappies tonight and got 2 struts off a zafera and the mounting plates from 2 zaferas as there are 2 bolt on plates per car so 4 plates and 2 struts making them a simple bolt on after a beating with a hammer to make one a straight mount instead of 90 degree with a spreader plate of flat bar on the lid to spread the loading

Glad I took my torx sockets t40 on a zafera ;)

Safety1st

Post by Safety1st »

Remember with things like trailers - safety is the key.

So lawfully, as long as you have position lights (which people call tail lights) and also reflectors and the indicators - you're unlikely to attract unwanted attention of the police of VOSA.

Flashing lights can only be indicators, 60-120 flashes per minute.

Don't forget number plate - which should be same format as the one on the towing vehicle - 'Charles Wright font'