vehicle for bugging out

Logistics and Transport
poppypiesdad

Re: vehicle for bugging out

Post by poppypiesdad »

grenfell wrote:Not directly concerned with using horses as a bug out option but more concentrating on replacing motor transport this makes for an interesting read , apparently just to replace the farm tractors in the US would require 23million horses.
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2008/04/ ... icult.html
My God that's an astonishing amount ..... Mind boggling

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

PreparedKent wrote:What about a pony and trap? No fuel required just grass to graze on and plenty of water :)
You've never had horses have you :lol: , its cheaper to start on 10 fags a day and light each one with a £10 note, however horses managed to survive this long without evolving into something less likely to injure themselves is a mystery.

As PoppiesDad said, its not as simple as it seems my niece has a pony which is the least flightly thing you could imagine but it literally wouldn't go anywhere near a little cart they borrowed for her to learn to drive.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

preparedsurrey wrote: You've never had horses have you :lol: , its cheaper to start on 10 fags a day and light each one with a £10 note......
Not in my neighbouring borough, they recently spent £45,000 rounding up hundreds of roaming and tethered horses. These horse are next to worthless, changing hands for the cost of a packet of fags. and more often than not simply abandoned due to their worthlessness. And while they are worthless, they have a very good ability to pull a cart around for hours on end (it's what they've done most of their life).
No doubt their value will increase considerably should vehicle fuel become scarce. You may need a bugle to get it to move though :)
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

preparedsurrey wrote: however horses managed to survive this long without evolving into something less likely to injure themselves is a mystery.
Thats because horses started out like this

And got turned into this
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
preparedsurrey wrote: however horses managed to survive this long without evolving into something less likely to injure themselves is a mystery.
Thats because horses started out like this

And got turned into this
Absolutely hit the nail on the head FC. I love to see Heavy Horses plowing brings out the Yokel in me.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've got a few customers and friends who keep horses . I'm not sure if it's a prerequisite for keeping them but the majority do seem to be able to moan for long periods at a time , how much hard work horses are , how expensive they are with all the food and vets bills , how to deal with all the muck , how you just can't get decent stable hands who want to work for a pittance , how they keep pushing the fence over and kicking their buckets , and on and on.
unsure

Post by unsure »

horse , not a bad idea , use it to get out , then when you get there ,, dinner . sounds cruel but is meat after all .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

unsure wrote:horse , not a bad idea , use it to get out , then when you get there ,, dinner . sounds cruel but is meat after all .
Not really cruel but your right , the old ones would be the first to go , then the geldings , we (me and wife), that in a food shortage , the horses are our protein .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

poppypiesdad wrote:
unsure wrote:horse , not a bad idea , use it to get out , then when you get there ,, dinner . sounds cruel but is meat after all .
Not really cruel but your right , the old ones would be the first to go , then the geldings , we (me and wife), that in a food shortage , the horses are our protein .

J
That reads as if you and your wife(which is impossible) are geldings! :D :D :D
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Horse meat is delicious, given a choice I would eat it in preference to cow meat any day of the week. It's a total mystery to me why people are so precious about eating horses (geldings not included :lol: )

Back on topic, my BOV (during armageddon) would have to be shanks's pony...................... :D
Knowledge is power