vehicle for bugging out

Logistics and Transport
Big Bear

vehicle for bugging out

Post by Big Bear »

Do you guys plan on using your B.O.V to get to your Bug out location then abandon it in do the rest on foot?

I don't have a 4x4 and the plan is to (only in as a last resort) drive near to my B.O.L then bike the rest of the way leaving the car behind.

Would be interesting to hear other people thoughts on this
Do not rely on the government for anything, especially your survival
Hoipoloi

Re: vehicle for bugging out

Post by Hoipoloi »

Is this just yourself?

Distance to your BOL would be a deciding factor.
Reason for bugging out would also come into it. If nuclear war is imminent then you won't likely get far on the roads because everyone and his wife will be doing the same (altogether another subject).

If it's not that far then it may be worth immobilising your car and leaving it at home. You may need it when the storm has cleared and you are back home.

You obviously don't have to move large amounts of stuff on the day in question.

Personally, if I'm alone then I'd be prepared to travel any distance by bike and not be too concerned about how long it took. A few hundred miles, how long could that take? A month?
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Hoipoloi wrote: A few hundred miles, how long could that take? A month?

3-4 days?

depending on loading running light weight i can do 45 miles in about 2-3 hours depending on the wind
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

That would be the hare then. Don't forget the tortoise takes his home with him.
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
Fozzie

Post by Fozzie »

Big Bear wrote:Do you guys plan on using your B.O.V to get to your Bug out location then abandon it in do the rest on foot?

I don't have a 4x4 and the plan is to (only in as a last resort) drive near to my B.O.L then bike the rest of the way leaving the car behind.

Depends on location etc, you might be surprised how capable "normal" cars are with All Season Mud & Snow tyres or even A/T or H/T type tyres
My plan would be car, simply because I wouldn't be alone and physical ability doesn't allow all of the party to travel far or fast by foot, loading down with weight would only exhaust further

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
3-4 days?

depending on loading running light weight i can do 45 miles in about 2-3 hours depending on the wind
Have you looked into Marathon running? That's an average speed of 15-22.5 miles per hour :O
The London marathon record of 26 miles and a bit is 2 hours 3 minutes - You could get round the course and have time for a pint before the next guy turned up :o
unsure

Post by unsure »

Fozzie wrote:
Big Bear wrote:Do you guys plan on using your B.O.V to get to your Bug out location then abandon it in do the rest on foot?

Depends on location etc, you might be surprised how capable "normal" cars are with All Season Mud & Snow tyres or even A/T or H/T type tyres
My plan would be car, simply because I wouldn't be alone and physical ability doesn't allow all of the party to travel far or fast by foot, loading down with weight would only exhaust further

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
3-4 days?

Have you looked into Marathon running? That's an average speed of 15-22.5 miles per hour :O
The London marathon record of 26 miles and a bit is 2 hours 3 minutes - You could get round the course and have time for a pint before the next guy turned up :o

fozzie , i think you missed the point .

yorkshire andy was refering to by bike not on foot .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
sfcfinchrs

Post by sfcfinchrs »

In my humble opinion.

A Bov / Utility Vehicle is very important.

I would suggest an Ex-mod land Rover Defender.

Emp proof as best as you can get. Diesel can be scavenged or made.

Sorry..... My phone was playing up with auto complete. Fixed the post now.
Last edited by sfcfinchrs on Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't do politics or religion. Seen to many people die because of these.

I post to contribute so take as you see fit. My way is not the only way.

Cheers
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

On a "road" bike fozzy those speeds are obtainable even with medeocre fitness with a man cold I did a 45mile charity ride in 2hr 15mins including a rear wheel puncture tube change.....

The speeds are obtainable but it takes a bit of "training" to maintain that speed
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

Those speeds and distances are very admirable on a bike. But you wouldn't be bugging out in lycra would you?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:On a "road" bike fozzy those speeds are obtainable even with medeocre fitness with a man cold I did a 45mile charity ride in 2hr 15mins including a rear wheel puncture tube change.....

The speeds are obtainable but it takes a bit of "training" to maintain that speed
I ride average 120 miles a week. To work. No special training other than persistence. I have been doing it for years, and I am very middle aged! My average speed is 16 miles per hour on a SINGLE speed 26" wheel flat bar hybrid( my own creation,as I build bikes). That is with a rack and luggage, as carrying a rucksack is energy draining-let the bike take the load as you are the motor!
What Yorkshire Andy says is perfectly normal.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.