Logistics and Transport
ojiu0u4

Re: Car Carry

Post by ojiu0u4 »

Hi,

I have one of these in the car:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarke-910-Jump ... B004M418SS

jump start, tire inflation, light, power source

has helped me on many cold winter mornings get my car to start after being idle for a bit.
Area 9
Fozzie

Post by Fozzie »

Gloves, Hat,
Spare lightbulb kit?

High Viz jacket as someone else said
unsure

Post by unsure »

i dont carry a great deal any more .

recovery straps
shackles
jump leads [ these are of no use to any one else as the connection is on the front ]
flashing amber light
set of spanners
phone charger
sat nav
duck tape
a couple of emergency bungy cords
trolly jack and strong arm

and the usual high vis jacket

i do carry spare brake pads and a fuel filter and a green flag card .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

butterbean wrote:

got the sleeping bag on the outside of the GHB and the survival bag is advertised as a bivvy bag, but it is more a thick body size black bag. i could do with something better i suppose, just need to figure out what sort of bivvy bag to get, saying that, would having a tent in place of a tarp mean i could not bother with bivvy bag?
I hate the polly survival bags... want to see why? Go for a jog round the block come home jump in it and lay in it in the back garden on a cold night.. within minutes it will be running with condensation and you will stay wet and get colder than if you just sat out the wind... yes they have their place but are far outclassed by the breathable bags ((even the cheap ones are much better than the standard plastic bag http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-Kest ... B00AAQRFOS))........

A bivvy bag in terms of a "proper one" is breathable like goretex. you can get really fancy ones with a hooped head cover
snugpak-stratosphere-bivi.htmlbut they are not cheap

i have a small cheap tarp (think its 2.5m by 2.5m) with a few ball bungees

which i can lash up into a small shelter to cover my head if its pissing it down...

and a army goretex bag i picked up from a army surplus market stall brand new never used for £30 after abit of haggling (bought some other stuff)

http://www.guardsarmygear.com/british-a ... p-286.html

its got a hood which i have turned upside down in the past to cover my face in a passsing shower at night ...

as for tent over a bivvy bag a tent will offer more comfort but in a howling gale it wont blow down...

or if you need to keep a low profile if your bugging out or trying to get home and dossing in a urban environment your not going to stand out like a sore thumb as a man pitching a tent would draw attention... and can go to "bed" at last light almost anywhere in a hedge bottom for example and if in the woodland DPM blend in to the area even in a urban environment i bet you could doss in a small park or big flower bed and at a glance no one would see you
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

1 thing that can come in handy for your 'get you home bag' is a proper can opener, I assume you'll have a wee one on your multi tool but especially if you're cold and hungry (and shivering) a proper one can be really useful. Even if you don't carry cans of stuff, you might end up acquiring some if you're in a situation where you're relying on your bag.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

My own tips for the mums with kids:

Even though my kids are mid teens now, I still carry a small ruck/sac in the car with spare clothes in - normally stuff they hate wearing! It contains spare leggings which roll up really small, socks - essential one this, spare socks for everyone, tshirts and thin long sleaved top as again they fold up really small and can add an extra layer if trapped in the car for a length of time. I always have 2 blankets on the back seat - comfy for long journeys and again, warmth when you break down and you are waiting 2 hours for the breakdown fellas. Chuck in a pack of non chocolate biscuits and sweets and a pack of cards (it was crayons and a notebook when my kids were little,) and you have a small but easy to leave in the car bag that may see you through. The other thing is water. When ever I go anywhere I make sure I have a bottle of water with me in the car. I am lucky in that I now have a small people carrier so I can put spare stuff in the hidden storage cubby holes under the floor but when I had my little clio, I still made sure I had spare water in the car as well as the small ruck sac with the afore mentioned stuff in it. Just remember to rotate the clothes each year as your kids grow! Little ones may need a small cuddly toy - even one of those freebee macdonalds naff toys you get with happy meals can keep them entertained if stuck in the car for any length of time (- certainly beats them cluttering up your kids bedroom with that junk.)

I tend to carry other stuff too, like jump leads, torches, first aid kit which has a thin hi vis jacket and a fold out warning triangle in it, snow/mud grips for my shoes, dog bowl and nibbles for him, and some hand warmers and a hand held fan. (gotta cover both extremes :D ) You don't have to carry masses everyday but just think about size and weight of the stuff and then pack it up small. "Kags-in-bags" or "macs-in-pacs" are great as they are small space saving and offer rain protection. Think about what is essential. How far you travel - if you mainly do the school run and into town, then can you walk home if needed? If you are going on a long journey in possible bad weather then add a carrier bag that can sit in the passenger foot well with some extra emergency bits and bobs in it but you don't necessarily need that as every day carry.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
BigF

Car Carry

Post by BigF »

I think you have to think about the purpose of your in car kit.

I started making up survival kits nearly over 30 years ago and in the last 20 started creating them for specific purposes to suit whatever escapade I was involved in. Latterly the GHB has been a fascinating project. I regularly work 100+ miles from home and this would be my objective even if I had to cover that distance on foot. I have hard won experience of walking that kind of distance.

First question is then what is the purpose of the huge array of kit in my car?

Secondly, if I have to abandon the car and walk home am I going to miss any of it?

Regarding what's in your car. This country is very wet. I doubt you need 10 litres of water in the car. With all that you are killing your fuel economy! Investigate a Sawyer filter or a survival straw and a smaller amount of water.

I think for a 160 to 300 mile treck you need to consider a better sleeping system. I would prepack a backpack you can walk any kind of distance in as a GHB to see how your kit fits and carried. You have far too much in your GHB to reasonably carry and kind of distance. A camelback may be useful.

You don't have enough socks. Your first aid kit needs to very much consider foot care.

I would consider a food load out to suit an extended hike. Trail bars won't cut the kind of distance you are talking about.

Maps are old fashioned but work. Know how to use them. Learn First Aid and some bushcraft, dump the books. Knowledge weighs nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by BigF on Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I think the two kit lists in the OP are for totally different purposes, the first is is a 'Stranding' kit (gear to either keep the car moving, or to Bug-in to the car) the second is a GHB*
While there are some items that have to pull double duty, some things like the two gallons of water make sense in car-only equipment (how much water does a car radiator hold and is it not better to carry that then hope you can find a full ditch ?)

More Socks I can really agree with..... But I've been known to EDC Pocket-Carry socks :oops:

ETA. Butterbean: Whats the total weight of your GHB?

* As far as I'm concerned, the GHB is a pointless setup.
If you can't make it back in 24 hours you'll need to Bug-home (for which you'd want a full BoB) and if you can make in less then a day then your EDC Bag-Load should be enough.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

cool, lots of replies and ideas
Fozzie wrote:Gloves, Hat,
Spare lightbulb kit?

High Viz jacket as someone else said
i didn’t mention that theres always hat scarf and gloves in the pouch behind my seat, old habit, always having them there
Yorkshire Andy wrote:
I hate the polly survival bags... want to see why? Go for a jog round the block come home jump in it and lay in it in the back garden on a cold night.. within minutes it will be running with condensation and you will stay wet and get colder than if you just sat out the wind... yes they have their place but are far outclassed by the breathable bags ((even the cheap ones are much better than the standard plastic bag http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-Kest ... B00AAQRFOS))........

A bivvy bag in terms of a "proper one" is breathable like goretex. you can get really fancy ones with a hooped head cover
snugpak-stratosphere-bivi.htmlbut they are not cheap

i have a small cheap tarp (think its 2.5m by 2.5m) with a few ball bungees

which i can lash up into a small shelter to cover my head if its pissing it down...

and a army goretex bag i picked up from a army surplus market stall brand new never used for £30 after abit of haggling (bought some other stuff)

http://www.guardsarmygear.com/british-a ... p-286.html

its got a hood which i have turned upside down in the past to cover my face in a passsing shower at night ...

as for tent over a bivvy bag a tent will offer more comfort but in a howling gale it wont blow down...

or if you need to keep a low profile if your bugging out or trying to get home and dossing in a urban environment your not going to stand out like a sore thumb as a man pitching a tent would draw attention... and can go to "bed" at last light almost anywhere in a hedge bottom for example and if in the woodland DPM blend in to the area even in a urban environment i bet you could doss in a small park or big flower bed and at a glance no one would see you
a good point about the polly bivvy bag that i hadn’t thought about. i must admit its 1 of the the very few things that i haven’t tried, but it seemed pretty simple, i think i should look into something else. my old tarp was 2.5m x 2.5m. i would prefer another tarp but must admit the comfort of a tent is always nice.
Deeps wrote:1 thing that can come in handy for your 'get you home bag' is a proper can opener, I assume you'll have a wee one on your multi tool but especially if you're cold and hungry (and shivering) a proper one can be really useful. Even if you don't carry cans of stuff, you might end up acquiring some if you're in a situation where you're relying on your bag.
as for the proper can opener, i assume you mean the rotating ones, I’ve had them at home in the past but that was a while ago, i only use the old fashioned ones these days like the ones on multitools and such, always found them less hassle and just suit me more.
ForgeCorvus wrote:I think the two kit lists in the OP are for totally different purposes, the first is is a 'Stranding' kit (gear to either keep the car moving, or to Bug-in to the car) the second is a GHB*
While there are some items that have to pull double duty, some things like the two gallons of water make sense in car-only equipment (how much water does a car radiator hold and is it not better to carry that then hope you can find a full ditch ?)

More Socks I can really agree with..... But I've been known to EDC Pocket-Carry socks :oops:

ETA. Butterbean: Whats the total weight of your GHB?

* As far as I'm concerned, the GHB is a pointless setup.
If you can't make it back in 24 hours you'll need to Bug-home (for which you'd want a full BoB) and if you can make in less then a day then your EDC Bag-Load should be enough.
not sure on the weight of it all, its manageable, walked 20 miles the other week, ill weigh it this weekend and post.
swapping GHB for a full BOB could be something i should look into next.
BigF wrote:I think you have to think about the purpose of your in car kit.

I started making up survival kits nearly over 30 years ago and in the last 20 started creating them for specific purposes to suit whatever escapade I was involved in. Latterly the GHB has been a fascinating project. I regularly work 100+ miles from home and this would be my objective even if I had to cover that distance on foot. I have hard won experience of walking that kind of distance.

First question is then what is the purpose of the huge array of kit in my car?

Secondly, if I have to abandon the car and walk home am I going to miss any of it?

Regarding what's in your car. This country is very wet. I doubt you need 10 litres of water in the car. With all that you are killing your fuel economy! Investigate a Sawyer filter or a survival straw and a smaller amount of water.

I think for a 160 to 300 mile treck you need to consider a better sleeping system. I would prepack a backpack you can walk any kind of distance in as a GHB to see how your kit fits and carried. You have far too much in your GHB to reasonably carry and kind of distance. A camelback may be useful.

You don't have enough socks. Your first aid kit needs to very much consider foot care.

I would consider a food load out to suit an extended hike. Trail bars won't cut the kind of distance you are talking about.

Maps are old fashioned but work. Know how to use them. Learn First Aid and some bushcraft, dump the books. Knowledge weighs nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carrying that much water isn’t an issue in my eyes, it gets rotated every few days, working away means i live in hotels for months at a time and every few days when i pop into asda or the like i buy some water for the car and the car water goes in my room to drink, and as for fuel economy work pay it so i don’t car, rather have it than not. i do have 1 of those life saver straws and their water bottle version on my amazon wishlist, its just a case of telling myself to get it
good point about not enough socks, ill remedy that this weekend.
i think you’re right about food but its finding the type of food for what i want, i can’t find anything that suits me just yet, whenever i go camping i try to think of something different to try so eventually ill get it right for me.
maps are old fashioned, and i love tech, but I’ve always known its a map that you can rely on, doesn’t take much for a power outage to take down a moblie tower and lose signal on stuff, so maps are what i stick with, and I’m more than comfortable using them, I’m a fair dab hand on the first aid front as well, trained up and had to use it often enough with work and such, keeping the book with me is more as a reminder, if i happen to be a situation where my heads not in the right place having a reference to jog my memory is something i want, I’m happy to carry the weight for what ill get out of it, same goes for the bushcraft and sas survival book, I’m happy enough outdoors, but want that just in case.
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

butterbean wrote:
a good point about the polly bivvy bag that i hadn’t thought about. i must admit its 1 of the the very few things that i haven’t tried, but it seemed pretty simple, i think i should look into something else. my old tarp was 2.5m x 2.5m. i would prefer another tarp but must admit the comfort of a tent is always nice.

i have but not yet tried i'd never get it to pack as small ever again

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... ng-bag-p61

Much smaller than the polly bag and other bivvies (it will fit in the palm of your hand i caught some on amazon about 3 months back for £5 each :shock: (with hinesight i should have bought a dozen and flogged them on :lol: )

still sweat in them but supposed to be much better than the polly bag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLnOtkN041A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptxo_JvZ1VI
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine