Car Carry

Logistics and Transport
butterbean

Car Carry

Post by butterbean »

had a tidy and check of all the stuff i carry in the car and thought i would post what i have, either to help anybody out who hasnt thought of something or if anybody has any ideas i missed.

all is kept in the boot of the car permanently, im away from home most of the time so it might seem like ive got a bit OTT but its suits my situation

snow socks for tyres
snow shovel ( x 2 because it was a twin pack )
plenty of de icer
anti freeze
screenwash
oil
10 litres of water
fire extinguisher
decent first aid kit
warm clothes
winter/waterproof jacket
hiking boots
tool set suited to the car
umbrella
quite a bit of food, enough for me to last a week
100ft paracord
tow rope
knife
uk road map
large torch and spare batteries
jump leads
toilet roll x 4
spare empty backpack

also keep my GHB packed and ready in the boot (might as well post whats in that)

water bottle
water purification tablets
food bars that i like
couple of pouch meals
sweets
warm change of clothes
sleeping bag (tied to outside of bag)
cable ties
paracord
SAK
gerber multitool
general over the counter medications and creams
first aid kit
first aid book (st johns ambulance, very good, covers a lot, given it on 1 of the courses i was on)
mess tin and mug
survival bag
torch and spare batteries
uv pens and uv torch
sas book
tarpaulin (found a massive tear in when sorting this out - need a new 1 or possibly switch to a tent)
binos
fire starting kit
work gloves
brew set
waterproof trousers
travel sewing kit
hand sanitizer
baby wipes
pencil sharpener (2 size metal 1 - got the idea from on here when i first joined the site, used it when camping last summer and amazed my mates)
toilet roll x 1
gorrilla tape
and a broken little screw on gas bottle stove (new 1 ordered)

i did have some maps of all the areas in the uk i work in or cut through but as they were just printouts and i hadnt put them in a map case theyve gotten damp and ruined so i need to figure out which ones i need from ordnance survey or similar

im sure there are things i have missed they would be of use to me, so please point them out.

ive said a few other times in some posts of mine that i work away from home all the time, never work in my home city, and the closest place of work and most common is 160 miles away but sometimes can go upto 300 (rarely) so my intention has always been keep the car in good order, if something goes wrong and i have to get home i'll have to walk it, hence having lots of food as that distance will take some time, plan would be to load the food into the spare backpack and try and hoof it. i hope i never have to do it but i like to think i could with the help of all my stuff. i know how to use everything i have. keep it all in the car as if its not on my drive when im home its either in hotel car park or work car park, easy to get to and take it from there.

comments and suggestions?
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Car Carry

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Sleeping bag and beeathable bivvy bag
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Watch out for the water freezing and splitting the containers - you don't find out till it thaws.....
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
butterbean

Post by butterbean »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Sleeping bag and beeathable bivvy bag

got the sleeping bag on the outside of the GHB and the survival bag is advertised as a bivvy bag, but it is more a thick body size black bag. i could do with something better i suppose, just need to figure out what sort of bivvy bag to get, saying that, would having a tent in place of a tarp mean i could not bother with bivvy bag?
preparedsurrey wrote:Watch out for the water freezing and splitting the containers - you don't find out till it thaws.....
is there a way of storing water in there without that being a possibility or is it just keep any eye on them?
success leads to complacency, complacency leads to failure. Only the Paranoid survive!!
ojiu0u4

Post by ojiu0u4 »

You could try leaving the container 10% empty with air or compressing the container by that amount when filling to allow room for it to expand when the water freezes.
Area 9
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Or put your water in plastic tub that holds more than the water inside it then youbxan use it for other things .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Reflective Triangle
Hi-Viz jacket/vest
Marker lights (someone posted about some flashing LED ones recently)
Bin bags
Phone charger

Did you not list your petrol can ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

My challenge is that with 3 small children I need to carry so much stuff around it's a real challenge. By the time I've even got the basic coats, hats, scarves, gloves plus a blanket, bag, water, snacks, torches etc. there really isn't much room for luggage for whatever trip we're going on.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Same here. Three kids and a small car. Plus, it's not really practical in my case to carry this amount of stuff all the time. It's ace if you can though.

Looks like you've got a lot of similar stuff to me though - reassuring! I think I might have to increase on blankets and cosy things for my car, since the most likely situation we'll find ourselves in is a broken down motor. Maybe a stove and some hot food/drink options. Kids like that stuff.
I love motorcycles like a fat guy loves cake. I also love cake.
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

What you need is a bigger vehicle :)
You wouldn't believe the stuff I carry around in this:

My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.