Storing Diesel Fuel

Logistics and Transport
transporteric

Storing Diesel Fuel

Post by transporteric »

Hi, Just found this interesting link on the shelf life of diesel fuel.

https://sites.google.com/site/projectbugout/diesel
handyandy

Re: Storing Diesel Fuel

Post by handyandy »

interesting.ive a friend who runs his terrano on veg oil.he collects used oil from takeaways etc,stores it in a 1000litre cube
and adds a tiny amount of petrol to it (?) before putting into the motor.
Im wondering if you go this route would the raw unfiltered veg oil be easy enough to store long term with any filtering/additives being added as you need the fuel?
hes been running this 4x4 for 3 years with no problems..............except for his exhaust fumes smelling like a chip shop!
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

I'm personally dubious of quoted shelf life for fuel, at the moment my 4wd backup vehicle is still running on the 9 year old diesel that was in it when it was parked up (its Perkins diesel powered so little to go wrong).
I ran a grey fergie tractor on a 40 year old drum of TVO (basically burning paraffin or kerosene) with no issues, the drum had just been closed normally before it was put away and forgotten about.
Petrol vehicles seems to be much more sensitive, with performance models being especially effected, have known motorcycles need carbs draining and fresh fuel to fire up after 2 months of standing.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

I have no doubt that deisel will store ok for up to a year before any action is required for treatment of it, but the biosides added to the deisel in recent times have made it more prone to bug build up, especially if water is present, which multiplies in the layer between the water and fuel.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Straight from the people who should know unless its a conspiracy to get us to throw perfectly good fuel away :tinfoil

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 7474,d.ZGU
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

I'll be happy to dispose of petrol or diesel that's passed it use by date !)
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

preparedsurrey wrote:I'll be happy to dispose of petrol or diesel that's passed it use by date !)

me too ;)
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Know someone who works in a scrap yard and hasn't bought fuel in years, says some come in with near full tanks!
would have no problem using second-hand fuel either.
spamofthejungle

Post by spamofthejungle »

handyandy wrote:interesting.ive a friend who runs his terrano on veg oil.he collects used oil from takeaways etc,stores it in a 1000litre cube
and adds a tiny amount of petrol to it (?) before putting into the motor.
Im wondering if you go this route would the raw unfiltered veg oil be easy enough to store long term with any filtering/additives being added as you need the fuel?
hes been running this 4x4 for 3 years with no problems..............except for his exhaust fumes smelling like a chip shop!
The petrol's to lower the viscosity of the chip oil to nearer that of Diesel, I've done this with old engine oil to run through an old diesel yard car before. You need to be careful not to add too much petrol though or you can cause pre-ignition or 'pinking' (think noise not colour) which is the petrol igniting too early in the stroke potentially damaging the engine.

Has anyone had any experience of diesel freezing? I've heard it can happen but are we talking Siberian winter here before we need to worry?

Sam.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I found this on Yahoo Answers
It depends on the grade of diesel fuel, the additives in the fuel, and water contamination.

When the temperature drops, wax crystals can form in the fuel, plugging the fuel filter and/or fuel line. This will prevent the engine from running.

Diesel fuel #2 should resist gelling down to about -10 deg. F (-23 deg. C), while winter blends of diesel fuel #2 and fuel #1 (kerosene) can typically handle temperatures down to -4 degrees F to -20 deg. F. But some "winter" blends may gel at higher temperatures if it contains too much #2 diesel and not enough #1 (say around 18 to 20 degrees F).

The pour point of the fuel (the point at which it starts to gel) can be lowered by additives, and my using heaters in the fuel filter, fuel tank and around the fuel line.

The truck doesn't run. If the fuel gels in the fuel line it stops the flow of fuel to the engine and the engine won't start or run.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar