Storing Diesel Fuel

Logistics and Transport
preparedsurrey

Re: Storing Diesel Fuel

Post by preparedsurrey »

Mercedes used to recommend running up to 10% petrol in extreme cold weather to prevent diesel from going waxy, obviously this was before the days of common rail injection and electronic pumps, doing that now would likely end with a big bill for a rebuilt injection pump, the same as trying to run straight veg oil in a modern diesel.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
spamofthejungle

Post by spamofthejungle »

Thanks ForgeCorvus, not too much of a problem in the UK then, good to know.

Sam.
MrJere

Post by MrJere »

When I bought my boat, the 2 1000ltr tanks were pretty full of diesel that must be going on 7/8 years old at least. Still seems fine (fired up the engines last weekend for the first time since buying it) and ran nigh-on smoke free after about 5mins.

As for the temperature, I don't have any heating (ironically runs off diesel, just haven't fixed it) but regardless I've not noticed any issue with it freezing so far. I'll be sure to let you know when it does though :)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
- Hanlon's Razor
womble

Post by womble »

spamofthejungle wrote:Thanks ForgeCorvus, not too much of a problem in the UK then, good to know.

Sam.
Not too much of a problem, but there have been cold enough winters to have truckers lighting fires under their fuel tanks to unwax the diesel before trying to start their wagons after a cold night. Not south of the border for a long time though. Depends what kind of dung has been flung at the spinning blades: a nuclear/volcanic winter would make that sort of weather event more commonplace in our region; global warming will make them less frequent, probably.
seadog

Post by seadog »

Ive just bought a filter funnel to use when Im messing about with my cars. Its supposed to remove water, sludge and other nasties from fuel. Have a look at www.mrfunnel.com , I bought mine on ebay, they come in varios sizes, and seem to last almost indefinately. I think it'll prove invaluable when trying to recover fuel or filter old diesel or petrol.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Hmm you know what I seem to be the doom and gloom fairy on here
Well it might remove everything and condition fuel , but the "new fuel " has ethanol in if which evaporates knackering it "new" petrol would be lucky to last 6 month these days
And the "new " diesel" is just as bad with the amount of "bio diesel " in it it starts growing algae in it then it's fecked
Might be a great filter when it was first out in 2008 but now it's a filter .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.