My new BOV

Logistics and Transport
Hamradioop

Re: My new BOV

Post by Hamradioop »

Looks good and has the mounting for a radio mast excellent. What Radio kit are you running Military or Commercial?
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Warbow

Post by Warbow »

Hopefully both, I've got three antenae bases all with TUUAMs, an ARFAT and DCCU, I've got a VRC 353 coming and hoping to buy a VRC 321 as well, that way it gives me boh long and short range comms. Will probably pick up a couple of PRC 349's at some point as well as fitting a CB too.

Fortunately I was a class 1 signaller in the army and regularly used to work up to brigade level so I've got a fair bit of experience, albeit all Clansman and no Bowman.

I've had to remove the battery box and table out of the back to give me living space so the sets will only work when the engine is running unless I rig something else up to give me a separate 24v supply somehow.

It's all theoretical at the moment, just working on a trial and error basis until I find a system that suits me.
Failing to plan is planning to fail
spamofthejungle

Post by spamofthejungle »

That's my intended vehicle, or a civilian Defender. What engine does yours have? I'm a mechanic by trade so a lot of my thinking with regards to vehicles centres around when they innevitably go wrong, and how possible it would be to repair them with limited resources. My thoughts are that non-turbo diesel engines with 'pump timed' injectors, for longevity and ease of repair are the way to go, what do you think?

Sam.
Warbow

Post by Warbow »

Couldn't aggree more mate, that's why I went for it, simplicity and ease of maintenance has to be the way forward. Mine's the 2.5 diesel, non turbo, no power steering
spamofthejungle

Sounds ideal mate, I look forward to seeing how your project progresses. Do you plan to change the appearance at all? I know some people say a BOV should be inconspicuous as something military looking could be a potential target for aggression from angry or hungry people. Not sure on my viewpoint on that but I'd like to know yours.

Sam.
Warbow

Post by Warbow »

My idea was to be long gone before thing escalate to that stage, to be well tucked away, cammed up and hidden, hence the need for a vehicle that's capable of getting you to a suitable location and then staying out of sight, plus I've still got the military plates that came with it so could possibly go where civvies can't go, either alone or as part of a convoy, being ex-forces I talk the talk so would attempt to blag my way through as far as possible without being sussed, in other words the appropriate uniform, rank slides and attitude may get me through, a long shot I know but needs must and all that, at that stage anything will be worth trying. And civvies are less likely to target armed people rather than unarmed...hopefully.
spamofthejungle

Yeah I see your point, in a serious situation when the proverbial has truly hit the fan checking I.D.s won't be high on any squaddies list I guess. I agree most civilians won't be armed, but arguably the criminal element would be more likely to be and possibly also more likely to try it on, but as you say, you plan to be long gone by then, fair play.

Do the military Landy's have any modifications other than comms equipment and a rifle rack?

Sam.
spamofthejungle

Yeah I see your point, in a serious situation when the proverbial has truly hit the fan checking I.D.s won't be high on any squaddies list I guess. I agree most civilians won't be armed, but arguably the criminal element would be more likely to be and possibly also more likely to try it on, but as you say, you plan to be long gone by then, fair play.

Do the military Landy's have any modifications other than comms equipment and a rifle rack?

Sam.
Warbow

Post by Warbow »

That's a difficult question to answer Sam, we were forever 'modding' our equipment and vehicles, mil-spec is pretty basic, but we would fit all kinds of stuff to make life more comfortable, from insulation and beds inside Land Rovers to fully converting Sankey Trailers into tent/campers, anything we could do to make life easier. So it would depend on where the vehicle's been and who's had it really.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer mate.
spamofthejungle

No that's a great answer mate, I was thinking of things like increased ground clearance, extra 12v batteries etc, I suppose it depends what theatre it was used or intended to be used in, cheers for the info.

Sam.