Using bicycles if shtf

Logistics and Transport
MissAnpassad

Re: Using bicycles if shtf

Post by MissAnpassad »

digi wrote: in the UK a slight dusting of snow brings the whole country to a standstill, in the past ive used a roadworks barrier as a sledge, but the UK in general is screwed in anything more than a slight frost lol
And here we become depressed if there is no snow. :lol:
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

Interesting hack. Is it just cable-ties?

Chunky tyres are a definite must-have. I can't think of any situation I'd rather have race-tyres, except if I got into racing for sport.
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Loving those improvised bike tyre studs!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Jan Smits wrote:Interesting hack. Is it just cable-ties?

Chunky tyres are a definite must-have. I can't think of any situation I'd rather have race-tyres, except if I got into racing for sport.
When I was a regular commuting cyclist I ran 1.75 inch super-slicks on an MTB frame - lovely fast bike. Would only ever run chunkies if I knew I was heading for hills and mud and needed the purchase, otherwise they sap energy and attract punctures.
Jan Smits

Post by Jan Smits »

featherstick wrote:... otherwise they sap energy and attract punctures.
I may not be as fast as some cyclists, but I can keep up my pace all day if I choose to, so the energy thing is a balance of speed/stamina.

I disagree about punctures though. The one puncture I have had in over 10 years was when I went offroad through woodland, and the puncture only set in after I removed the 1.5cm blackthorn wedged in the tyre.
John Smith but a little bit foreign.
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

Yes, it's cable-ties.
I concur, racing tyres are just useful if you are racing on a flat surface in good weather. They can not bear any extra weight, they become misshapen if you cycle off road and they can more easily puncture.
MissAnpassad

Post by MissAnpassad »

featherstick wrote:

When I was a regular commuting cyclist I ran 1.75 inch super-slicks on an MTB frame - lovely fast bike. Would only ever run chunkies if I knew I was heading for hills and mud and needed the purchase, otherwise they sap energy and attract punctures.
1.75 aren't super-slicks, they are normal MTB tyres.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

MissAnpassad wrote:
featherstick wrote:

1.75 refers to the width

I run 1.75 slicks on my old mountain bike which I go round town on ... Much less than that width on MTB rims and your asking for problems
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
featherstick wrote:
1.75 refers to the width

[/quote]

...and slick refers to the very smooth surface.