Using bicycles if shtf

Logistics and Transport
Hoipoloi

Re: Using bicycles if shtf

Post by Hoipoloi »

Here's my setup at the moment. Still considering a trailer although my only choice is a two wheel job.

My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Nice , how much weight is on it ?, you know a hi viz vest would be ideal under the bungy straps of the top rear panniner, just now in non zombie land . 8-)
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

Personal kit is around 60lbs (excluding water), cycle related kit (spares) is about 10lbs. I have the weights for each individual item but a few items are due for upgrade/change so the total isn't confirmed yet.

The intention is stealth and I don't intend using public roads wherever possible. For current legal purposes though front and rear reflectors are fitted. In the right/rear pannier is a hi-viz vest (you can just see it in the pic) in case it's needed. The waterproof covers for rear panniers are also a bright yellow.

Across the rear rack (inside it's own waterproof cover) is a Wisport Racoon 85L rucksack, containing tent and sleeping mat. I have tried to configure kit so that if needed I can ditch the bike and continue on foot.
I'm in the process of constructing a website detailing my kit and why I chose each item. Not for teaching methods or reviewing kit, more to explain the pitfalls that I've come across and to show lots of pictures.
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

As with anything, it depends what SHTF means to the situation and to you. Cycling at a slow to moderate pace is less tiring than walking IMHO and therefore you can if you aren't fit enough to do Tough Mudder (like me!) go further with a "tank" of food nutrition than if you were hiking. In that case just getting somewhere you need to be is SHTF, getting to a pharmacy to buy needed medicines is SHTF, shopping, buying stamps, getting to see a client or to any event at all is SHTF.

Its just about being generally ready for something, anything surely?

SHTF doesn't have to mean zombies or people with metal masks, nitro kits, and shopping centres being renamed "thunderdome".

get a bike, practice it. Its good for you anyway :)
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

I toyed with the idea of a bicycle, I watched a load of youtube video's covering the subject and read a lot of opinions and even started collecting some stuff, then I saw that guy get dragged off his scooter in the London riots :oops: .......... I still have the parts I'd collected in the shed though because you never know ;)
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Just got some new tyres for my bike as the old ones were showing their age and this winter I intend to tidy it up a bit , well it is 35 years old. I also recently brought a spares or repairs bike ( no wheels) for the parts and I'm considering using the frame to make a single wheel trailer .
Got to say nice set up Hoipoloi , and love the camo paint job :D
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

grenfell wrote: Got to say nice set up Hoipoloi , and love the camo paint job :D
Thanks, here's the bike 'bare':

And I did the trailer to match today :)

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Hoipoloi wrote:Here's my setup at the moment. Still considering a trailer although my only choice is a two wheel job.

Hmmmmm you've got a way to go to beat these. :o :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftx9xoCa2LY
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

Vespa wrote:
Hmmmmm you've got a way to go to beat these. :o :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftx9xoCa2LY
That's a lot of polystyrene! It can't be for recycling can it?
Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Quite possibly Hoipoloi, I only posted because it looked so comical.