Using bicycles if shtf

Logistics and Transport
DKR

Re: Using bicycles if shtf

Post by DKR »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
DKR wrote:Image

These panniers hold as much as my large ALICE ruck and a bit more. The bag on top holds the stove, FAK and bike tools. The odd pack on the handle bars hold about 4 days of food.

If pedaling all day long (common here in Alaska) you can easily burn 5K or more calories.

For fun, an LC-2 ALICE frame will fit on top of the Blackburn rack - the lot is held on with a pair of long straps.

Easy to carry a lot of stuff, very low key. Very much fun when it isn't raining....

The bicycle is sold as a Sport Comfort. Basically a 21 speed Mt bike with more upright seating. I normally run very hi pressure (90 psi) tyres and knobbies when off road.

Nice love the 7 speed chain IMO its one of the best set ups live span / reliability/ strength / mud Clarence...

I'm always snapping 9 speed chains on my mountain bike yet my town bike is running a 14 ish year old 7 speed SRAM chain

One issue with mud guards is they clog with mud depending on soil type

Again with cantilever brakes or v brakes amazingly simple reliable yet in the mud or wet clog and wet rims loose efficiency

Where as discs can offer more power and better in mud and wet but most are a pain in the arse to service in the field
The mud guards to a very good job on the local mud. I mostly ride on bike trails or double track (dirt roads) - no issue with mud jamming up the works as yet.

As you can see, the track is mostly gravel or cobble.

Even off trail, the area is mostly scree/gravel as this is a glacial valley. Great fun for a ride in the sun.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

DKR wrote:Even off trail, the area is mostly scree/gravel as this is a glacial valley. Great fun for a ride in the sun.
The most significant thing here, it's fun in the here and now, plus has potential ( or an excuse for worst case scenario) whether you take the odds as really long or not.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Hadn't though about alternative transport until a few months ago.

Picked up a bike from Halfords at a not to bad price.

I'm currently changing tyres tubes etc to make more study.

Also, using it to increase my fitness so if the shtf, I know it wont be a hassle hopping on it and getting out if needs be and the car isn't practical
Do not rely on the government for anything, especially your survival
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Don't be suckered in by slime type innertubes or the like from experience they are useless very useless....

Decent quality tubes and tyres however make a massive difference.

On road maxxis worm drive

Maxxis cross mark or hard drive for light off roading slightly beefier maxxis high roller for more off roading.

For wet muddy areas maxxis swamp things are very good
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

That sounds a bit like a advert doesn't it lol its not ment to :oops:

poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Andy ... Is that whist wearing your maxxis , jacket , baseball cap with your maxxis backpack , and eating maxxis bars and drinking maxxis tea........ :lol:

J

Ps other bicycle products are available :D
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

poppypiesdad wrote:Andy ... Is that whist wearing your maxxis , jacket , baseball cap with your maxxis backpack , and eating maxxis bars and drinking maxxis tea........ :lol:

J

Ps other bicycle products are available :D

That's the one :lol: local bike shop stocks them they are a a good price vs quality

Although in summer I do like continental vertical protection but they do puncture easy.

Best way to avoid punctures is carry a spare inner tube pump tyre levers and if needed a spanner for the wheel nuts...... And a repair kit with a few cotton balls or a tampon.....

(Cotton wool wiped round inside of a tyre carcass snags on the bit of glass or thorn rather than ripping your fingers to bits. .. .

Me and a mate once timed yourself doing a rear wheel tube change at the road side at 3.5 mins from stopping to riding away..... Then about 5 mins patching the tube at home

Selkie

Post by Selkie »

Whilst it wasn't exactly a SHTF film, it was a film about escaping; I'm surprised that earlier on when discussing people bugging out or getting away by bicycle no one remembered 'The Great Escape' or 'Independence Day'.

The comments regarding fitness are correct, especially if you plan to cycle with your bicycle laden. I used to regularly use my bike for shopping and work and it was a very laden vehichle :D I tended to avoid taking it out during and after the Keppra year, my confidence just went. The consequence is that my bike skills are markedly poorer. I have managed to maintain a good level of fitness but my cycle skills are not what they were. This promotes a vicious circle as I tend to walk more rather than get more cycling experience. There is no point having a glorious cycle that you plan to use to bug out and stash it in the shed awaiting SHTF Day.

Regards the posts on visibility from the road if the SHTF; tell me you have researched your bike, your bike kit, you've got bike fit - have you had a look at the route? Really? If you still plan to cycle on the road you are thinking like a driver. And if you wait till people are trying to nick your bike you got out too late.
Plan for the worst......but enjoy every minute of it.
Wales1

Post by Wales1 »

A bike is part of my plan, Short term for getting to my proposed BOL's and long term as part of the 'Scavanger kit' with a trailer you can double or triple your carrying capacity, But bikes have other advantages too...Almost silent and certanly faster than a man on foot.
Bikes also require regualr maintenance, so inner tubes/spare parts make up part of my sotrage and tradeable stock.
CynicalSurvival

Post by CynicalSurvival »

Wales1 wrote:A bike is part of my plan, Short term for getting to my proposed BOL's and long term as part of the 'Scavanger kit' with a trailer you can double or triple your carrying capacity, But bikes have other advantages too...Almost silent and certanly faster than a man on foot.
Bikes also require regualr maintenance, so inner tubes/spare parts make up part of my sotrage and tradeable stock.
Good points, yeah.

I see my bike as more of a long-term transport alternative, if fuel becomes scarce/extortionate, and I need a way of getting around and foraging. In terms of short-term bug out, it doesn't really work with kids in tow, at least not until they are old enough to keep up lol
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/