Using bicycles if shtf

Logistics and Transport
ForgeCorvus

Re: Using bicycles if shtf

Post by ForgeCorvus »

You buy that trailer ?
Could you let us know how much and where from ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

£60 off ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Foldable- ... 565c24eb4a

Advert says it weighs 11kg but it's actually 12.3kg
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Could you , if for some reason the bike goes kaput , pull it by hand ?

Jamie
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

poppypiesdad wrote:Could you , if for some reason the bike goes kaput , pull it by hand ?

Jamie
Yes, I've tried pulling it along by hand and there's enough room so that it doesn't catch your feet. The trailer will be high at the front while pulling it but as long as the cargo weight is reasonably balanced it is quite comfortable to pull.
While the front end (tow bar) would be high, the rear is still clear of the ground by a few inches. At least it is for me at 5'10" tall.
My prepping consists of bugging out by bicycle so any comments are likely to be based on that scenario.
mongrel

Post by mongrel »

Great looking bike, only addition I would suggest is a USB Power Bicycle/Bike Dynamo Charger, get them from Ebay for £20 odd, great for powering sat/nav phone etc, or as I use a usb battery charger, always got charged batteries for my headlamp when camping.
Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi »

mongrel wrote:Great looking bike, only addition I would suggest is a USB Power Bicycle/Bike Dynamo Charger,
I have a hub dynamo on my other bike which is superb, but, on my INCH bike I don't think I'd be going far/fast enough to be of any use.
My charging is taken care of with an Anker four panel 14w solar device which has two USB outputs. It will charge 4 x AAs at a time through two separate USB battery chargers.

ojiu0u4

Post by ojiu0u4 »

I think your bike and trailer looks awesome! And totally fun for weekends away for fun in the country as well (I will fit a dog trailer to mine :D ). I like as well, if combined with a bike rack and car, it gives another level of fall back in terms of transport speed and load capacity going car (with emergency bag, back pack bob, bike panier bags front and back, bike trailer bag, car bag) dropping down through the levels trougth to running for life having dumped everything except emergency bag. I like the stealth aspect very much for moving around and accessing foot paths.

Also on the general fun camping, can drive to Scottish park, dump car, cycle further in and set wild camp and then hike around with the dog, rather than having to yomp everything in on my back from the car park. sweet!

I am putting a bike on my list :D
Area 9
DKR

Post by DKR »

These panniers hold as much as my large ALICE ruck and a bit more. The bag on top holds the stove, FAK and bike tools. The odd pack on the handle bars hold about 4 days of food.

If pedaling all day long (common here in Alaska) you can easily burn 5K or more calories.

For fun, an LC-2 ALICE frame will fit on top of the Blackburn rack - the lot is held on with a pair of long straps.

Easy to carry a lot of stuff, very low key. Very much fun when it isn't raining....

The bicycle is sold as a Sport Comfort. Basically a 21 speed Mt bike with more upright seating. I normally run very hi pressure (90 psi) tyres and knobbies when off road.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

DKR wrote:Image

These panniers hold as much as my large ALICE ruck and a bit more. The bag on top holds the stove, FAK and bike tools. The odd pack on the handle bars hold about 4 days of food.

If pedaling all day long (common here in Alaska) you can easily burn 5K or more calories.

For fun, an LC-2 ALICE frame will fit on top of the Blackburn rack - the lot is held on with a pair of long straps.

Easy to carry a lot of stuff, very low key. Very much fun when it isn't raining....

The bicycle is sold as a Sport Comfort. Basically a 21 speed Mt bike with more upright seating. I normally run very hi pressure (90 psi) tyres and knobbies when off road.

Nice love the 7 speed chain IMO its one of the best set ups live span / reliability/ strength / mud Clarence...

I'm always snapping 9 speed chains on my mountain bike yet my town bike is running a 14 ish year old 7 speed SRAM chain

One issue with mud guards is they clog with mud depending on soil type

Again with cantilever brakes or v brakes amazingly simple reliable yet in the mud or wet clog and wet rims loose efficiency

Where as discs can offer more power and better in mud and wet but most are a pain in the arse to service in the field
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Any ideas for carrying an air rifle or such like on a bike? An awful lot talk if wanting one especially bugging out, or would we be talking stripped down and put in a rucksack? Crossbows must be the most awkward thing to want to carry around, and Compound bows too for that matter, I know we have the offensive weapon laws to be concerned about, but in that scenario your bike/trailer even handcart are your home, I have to admit even though I'm not a bug out advocate for the most part, EDCs, BOBs, and Vehicles and what to pack are fascinating to me.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.