Get me home bicycle

Logistics and Transport
mongrel

Get me home bicycle

Post by mongrel »

I've been thinking about transport after an event,my worst case scenario would be a EMP or similar while away from home. As a working Engineer I'm often up to a 100 miles distant from home, my van is equipped with a “Get me home” bag containing most of the usual things, but in the case of EMP it could be a long walk, so a bicycle would be ideal.

What type, simple and straight forward for general use, with panniers to carry say 3 days worth of food and shelter .

Question is, what could I pack on a bike that could be stored long term ( Hopefully) in a box in the back of a van.
featherstick

Re: Get me home bicycle

Post by featherstick »

i'm not sure if I've understood you properly, but there are plenty of decent folders about which could sit in the back of the van until needed.

Otherwise, there's loads of different bikes about - I used to use a mountain bike with panniers and slicks - nice and robust and nippy enough, now I use a folder, you could consider a hybrid or a touring bike. Really depends what sort of cycling you want to do. The thing to do is try lots of bikes out, talk to cyclists, and get to know your local bike shop.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

It's a good idea if you have the space in the van as I always find it amazing just how much room a bike takes up. Folding bikes do seem to have come along quite a bit nowadays being more like "proper" bikes so if you are looking at buying a bike for this purpose that might be worth thinking about.
As you have a " get home" bag with you already I would think you have probably answered your own question about what you could store long term in the van . The only thing I would say is to watch cans in the winter , I had a can of drink freeze and split after I had left it in a van. If you use a butane cooker that might be worth looking at too as we know the effects of cold on them too. In general I would rotate the " long term" stores in the van more frequently than stocks held in the house.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your looking at covering distance i'd be looking at a road / Cylcocross bike....

a cyclocross is a stronger take on the road bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5N1QE_JNQA

when i was fitter i could do 45 miles in 2 hours 20 mins to give you some idea of the distance you could potentially do
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

you got me thinking about how much food and shelter my little bike can hold now :)
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
jansman

Post by jansman »

featherstick wrote:i'm not sure if I've understood you properly, but there are plenty of decent folders about which could sit in the back of the van until needed.

Otherwise, there's loads of different bikes about - I used to use a mountain bike with panniers and slicks - nice and robust and nippy enough, now I use a folder, you could consider a hybrid or a touring bike. Really depends what sort of cycling you want to do. The thing to do is try lots of bikes out, talk to cyclists, and get to know your local bike shop.
Great advice there. I am a folder-fan these days. I ride a Brompton, but there are many, many types. The Brompton is not cheap, but it's main rival, Dahon are rather good, not so pricey , and have a firm following. All folders are great for the back of a van/car. Most have a luggage rack, the Brompton has dedicated luggage. However, a get home bag would bungee nicely on a rack. You do not want to ride a bike with a rucksack. It makes you overheat and tire quickly. Let the bike carry you and the kit, and you be the motor.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

I am thinking of buying a new bicycle must have mud guards and be capable of fitting a rack on the rear for panniers budget around £300. Any recommendations? NO NEED FOR ANY REMARKS ON THE BUDGET AS IT IS FIXED.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/folding-mount ... 35dd6fa2e7

saw this on ebay and thought of you. Ebay has a great selection of folding bikes and if you can travel to pick it up, some of them are bargains
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

thanks Nick. Not quite what I am looking for. Looking for a tourer.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Second hand is good. You can get a heck of a deal. Try your local bike shop. I do repairs to some very good bikes for mine. 300 quid could easily get you a grands worth of bike. Just a thought.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.