Puncture Proof Tyres?

Logistics and Transport
QUAID

Puncture Proof Tyres?

Post by QUAID »

I have been plagued by punctures on my bike for weeks....
As my bike has a place in the hierachy of my bug out plan i was wandering if anyone has tried any 'puncture proof' or puncture resistant tyres?
http://www.greentyre.co.uk/bicycle-tyres.php tell a good story about their solid rubber tyres but are they any good?

Are there any other measures i can take to resist punctures? The gel in the innertube is crap by the way.
Was thinking about lining my tyres with something, but what?

Main prob are thorns!

Cheers in advance.
Briggs 2.0

Re: Puncture Proof Tyres?

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Are you using latex tubes? When I was slimmer I used to fit those and pumped up to top pressure they were resistant to thorns and pinch punctures.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
sfcfinchrs

Post by sfcfinchrs »

Hiya,

You may want to try this stuff.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-m ... re-sealant

You can get it on Ebay no problem.
I don't do politics or religion. Seen to many people die because of these.

I post to contribute so take as you see fit. My way is not the only way.

Cheers
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

sfcfinchrs wrote:Hiya,

You may want to try this stuff.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-m ... re-sealant

You can get it on Ebay no problem.

I've used it and err its crap its just not effective and usually clogs the valve...... Throws the wheel off ballence and makes patching impossible

I use stans no tubes solution remove the valve core and use 2 measures per tube inserted using a old bike pump

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... clsrc=aw.d.

Schwalbe have a range of puncture resistant tyres put some on Mrs Yorkshire Andy's bike this week
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
QUAID

Post by QUAID »

Ive tried the Halfords sealant, it doesnt work - It's a token effort attempt.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Another one to say tube gels are rubbish. There was once a tyre liner on the market, but it was fiddly to fit straight and I'm not sure it's still around.

Schwalbe Marathon tyres are pretty good but usually the more proof the tyre the heavier and slower it is.

Punctures seem to come in waves, usually after a heavy rainfall when lots of debris has been washed into the road. When I got into the habit of checking my tyres after each ride for flints, thorns and staples (a really common cause of urban punctures I found), I got fewer flats. The thorn or staple rarely penetrates all the way the first time you go over it, but is picked up by the tyre and then works its way a bit further in with each revolution.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

The slicks I put on were lighter than the basic budget MTB tyres that the bike came with and obviously mush faster rolling...

I run UST tubeless with that sealent I linked above and have not had a puncture in about 3 years
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
lincsprepper

Post by lincsprepper »

My old man used to use this and i think it did alright for him. I don't think it was a permanent solution though i think it was more a case as enough to get home on so he could repair it with a patch. Still, if you're bugging out you don't want to be stopping on the road to try and fix a puncture :D
redskies

Post by redskies »

The sealant is designed just to get you home, not for continual use. I speak here as the great granddaughter of the man who invented it, originally for cars, then sold the patent to Dunlop. For a fiver :?

If it's really a bother, solid rubber tyres? Heavier, I know, but it might be worth looking into, and it'd certainly solve the problem on a permanent basis!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy has it sorted. Regarding tyres, he is right about the Schwalbe Marathons are the way to go. This week I have advised two of my customers to let me fit them. They are not cheap, but they are damn close to puncture proof, and in my experience good for at least 6,000 miles. If you think of it, swap the tyres over after 6 months or so, and they will last a little longer.
Incidentally,an abnormally high rate of punctures means you need new tyres anyway, whichever type you prefer.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.