BOV at last

Logistics and Transport
gooner677

BOV at last

Post by gooner677 »

Hi all,

We are buying a caravan next year, so took the opportunity to buy a 4x4 to tow it. Got hold of a very low mileage 2001 Frontera 2.2DTI.

Now just need to install a CB, Roof Bars etc.

Anything you would suggest putting in a BOV?

Thanks
Area 4
Jack the Lad

Re: BOV at last

Post by Jack the Lad »

Get an A frame and tow a defender lol
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Apart from the usual tools, food , water ,blankets , spare fuel and such it is probably wise to look at what scenerio you envisage the vehical being used in and tailor the contents around that.
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Well the 2.2 DTI is at least the best of the engines available for that model, but the Frontera is notoriously unreliable and wouldn't be my choice.

Do some research on the common problems and build up your tools, spares and knowledge on what to do for common problems.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/used ... ew/23473-3

These guys will be your font of knowledge:

http://www.fronteraowners.co.uk/
gooner677

Post by gooner677 »

Thanks, already signed up for the frontera owners club and fronteratech lol

Bought this one as it was a bargain price with very low mileage.

Plus I cant afford a defender.

I have started storing things in plastic boxes so they can be easily loaded into the car if needed. Does everyone else do it this way or do you use large bags?
Area 4
tigs

Post by tigs »

have you thought about a winch and a ground anchor thats if you are planning lots of off road driving !
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8

Post by 90. »

Hi there, don't worry about the frontera, its a great all rounder & its reputation as unreliable is a myth perpetuated by anti vauxhall sentiment from the top gear crowd - it was the age of the vectra remember.! it was a very capable platform around the world, however if you do intend to use it off road I would swap the autolocking front hubs(if fitted) for manual hubs, a steering guard and leave it at that.

I would carry what is sensible for any car e.g. small bottle of oils, anti freeze & brake fluid, don't forget a small tool kit.
As for prep specific contents think of it as a big bob, but do try to keep stuff out of sight, no doubt you will tweek it as you need or think about it.

what I advise anyone to do with a car that is new to them is do a basic service yourself with the tools that you intend to leave in the car, ditch the scissor jack for a bottle jack with a spreader base & replace the wheel brace with either a breaker bar or preferably an extending brace with a socket dedicated to the wheel nut size.

Enjoy your ride.
gooner677

Post by gooner677 »

Thanks everyone, gives me a bit of food for thought.

Glad to see there are still some people not writing off the Frontera. Its a good all round car and tows like a dream. I know the old A series had their faults but the b series 2.2dti is much better.

Thanks
Area 4
JOE90

Post by JOE90 »

I have a frontera too,mines an A series but has been very reliable. They are basically a japanese design,so are very reliable. I've had land rovers too,so have seen both side of the coins. I carry basic tools but have never needed them.
ggc

Post by ggc »

Hi Gooner,

I have a small 4x4 that I use as my daily drive, workhorse and quite regularly for offroading. Different lengths of bungee cord with hooks at either end always come in handy. They are small and easy to store within the car and are useful for loads of different things such as keeping spare water and coolant bottles still and upright, and holding the back door closed if you're transporting something like a long piece of wood and can't close the door fully.

If you're thinking of getting roof bars then a cargo net and a big bit of tarp are also very handy. They take up little space in the car and can be put over anything on the roof within seconds.

Ratchet straps are useful for supporting loads or even holding larger tree branches back. I also have a bow saw that is good for cutting large branches or small trees in an emergency.

A couple of tow straps with shackles at the end are also a good idea. I prefer the tow belts as opposed to the ropes as they do not fray and are more elastic which is useful if you're stuck in a rut. I would recommend getting at least 4.5 tonne ones as well because I have seen 2 tonne ones snap before and the shackle makes very light work of smashing the back windscreen.

I agree with 90. about the Fronteras - they are good jeeps so well done for grabbing a bargain. Without the wish of offending anyone I tend to ignore car-related advice from people who watch Top Gear and I tend to cross the road to avoid those "Clarkson for Prime Minister" people. And as for defenders they are big, heavy and prone to rust which are three things I tend to avoid if I intend on going off of tarmac and grass.

@90. Thanks for the advice about the bottle jack. The scissor jack I have is rubbish and it's just not practical to take the trolley jack with me.