How far?

Logistics and Transport
Hamradioop

Re: How far?

Post by Hamradioop »

Vespa wrote:Some good points raised, interesting topic.

Has anyone considered that they may have to get home on foot at night?

It's one thing walking in the daylight with a horizon and landmarks in the distance but with out decent dead reckoning skills you can find your self in bother relatively quickly. Whether it's taking the wrong route and ending up in the wrong place or falling down an embankment into a river or canal it can be dangerous.

I walk my dog for four or five miles a night around a number of green lanes and moorland paths and I know the area like the back of my hand having walked for many years during the day and night. But even though I know these lanes well I remember one moonless and rainy night I found my self taking a wrong path at the top of a hill I've climbed since a child and ended up in the bottom of the next valley. I had to phone my wife to come and pick us up when we got to the bottom. She wasn't best pleased.

I also remember one incident camping when when I had to answer a call of nature I only went 20 or 30ft from the tent but got lost for half an hour on the way back.

Does anyone know how many steps they take over a hundred metres, on flat level ground I do 140 steps or 70 left feet, more on rough ground and an incline. If you're walking at night with out a moon it's a handy thing to know when retracing your steps.
Thats why Ranger Beards are used.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.