local standardisation of comms and cars?

Logistics and Transport
preppergb

local standardisation of comms and cars?

Post by preppergb »

I'm new here and I was wondering if any of the local or regional groups had managed to agree on any standards for their local group such as make and model of 2w radios or vehicles?

Most of the people I know appear to be harmonising on Baofeng UV5R radios and many are getting basic ham licences. I nalso noticed in the thread about tarpaulins two vehicles of the same type and configuration and wondered if it was coincidence or choice.
tigs

Re: local standardisation of comms and cars?

Post by tigs »

a lot of the time vehicles and equipment being the amongst different people is down to reliability ,access to spares and price rather than groups getting together and agreeing on standardization. you will notice a lot of land rovers in posts for instance
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

preppergb wrote:I'm new here and I was wondering if any of the local or regional groups had managed to agree on any standards for their local group such as make and model of 2w radios or vehicles?

Most of the people I know appear to be harmonising on Baofeng UV5R radios and many are getting basic ham licences. I also noticed in the thread about tarpaulins two vehicles of the same type and configuration and wondered if it was coincidence or choice.
The ham licence and the Baofeng UV5R are almost a set standard.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Hamradioop wrote:
preppergb wrote:I'm new here and I was wondering if any of the local or regional groups had managed to agree on any standards for their local group such as make and model of 2w radios or vehicles?

Most of the people I know appear to be harmonising on Baofeng UV5R radios and many are getting basic ham licences. I also noticed in the thread about tarpaulins two vehicles of the same type and configuration and wondered if it was coincidence or choice.
The ham licence and the Baofeng UV5R are almost a set standard.
Yep, I have, after reading this thread, made move to suss out what I need for a foundation licence for those members that wish to use a reliable system.
Mind you I will have to travel to find a club to do the course, all of .9 of a mile :D

I think the baofeng UV5R with an antenna upgrade.
I note that on one forum a person in the USA said his radio with antenna upgrade plus the cable for the computer cost him $65 so that still makes the 7 units I want for my family quite cheap. My son lives the furthest from me at 14 miles.

One question I'd like to ask the HAM knowing, is there an age limit on the age a junior may be before they can take the foundation licence ?

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

The Ham licence and technical nature of the Baofeng UV5R's etc are a major turn off for me and several others that I have spoken to and whilst there are large numbers that use them, there are many times more, like me, who do not.

Is there anyone who can explain (in very simplistic terms) how the new 12W (?) CB Radio's compare with the likes of the Baofeng UV5R?

Such as: Can the new 12w CB's be used in a hand held configuration? How do they compare size wise? What is the likely range of them? etc

Thanks in anticipation....
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

@wulfshead . As far as I know there is no minimum age, I know of at least 1 5 year old who has passed and been issued a licence.

@ Devionian. CB radio is fine for about a radius of 4 miles plus skip distances. Size wise they are the size of a Large thick paperback compared to a fag pack for the baofeng. that does not include the aerial which on a cb will be one meter or more on the baofeng 25 cm or more.

I doubt if anyone will make a 12 watt handheld of any flavour batteries size tends to come into it.

the frequency spread available on the baofeng makes it more desirable as if they cant find you they cant listen to you.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Hamradioop wrote:@wulfshead . As far as I know there is no minimum age, I know of at least 1 5 year old who has passed and been issued a licence.

@ Devionian. CB radio is fine for about a radius of 4 miles plus skip distances. Size wise they are the size of a Large thick paperback compared to a fag pack for the baofeng. that does not include the aerial which on a cb will be one meter or more on the baofeng 25 cm or more.

I doubt if anyone will make a 12 watt handheld of any flavour batteries size tends to come into it.

the frequency spread available on the baofeng makes it more desirable as if they cant find you they cant listen to you.

Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

@Hamradioop,
Thanks also from me.

My grandson is 6 1/2 and by the time I get my compensation he should be a bit more suitable for taking a test. Comms is very high on my after compo to buy list as I'm lucky that all 3 of my kids and their partners are active in prepping as budget allows.
My comop will fund the things that the young of my family may wish for but seem financially better sense, for them, to put off until they have the spare cash, harder with the way prices rise and wages fall these days.

I was actually quite happy when I found out how inexpensive the foundation course was, times that by 7 and I still will be better off in my mind with a comms system for my family and not that much stung in the wallet,
Happy days

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack