Licensed Radio Network

Logistics and Transport
Briggs 2.0

Re: Licensed Radio Network

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I wish it was possible to select a frequency for us all to use but nature, power, economics and licensing get in the way. All I can come up with is a set VHF frequency we agree on to use where non licenced users can listen and licenced users can work out if a local area network is possible by testing transmit and receive. This is the same as Mrs B and I use right now. We have set frequencies programmed in our handies and a plan to use them, along with local repeaters (if they are up) in a SHTF scenario.

Nature in the form of hills is the buggeration. In a flat, non obstructed landscape, Hamradioop, me and Lonewolf would be able to form a network, with a relay to Plymptom but Exmoor and Dartmoor get in the way.

The only way I can see for this to work is set a test VHF frequency and see what we can build as a network. The Boefang and Wouxun handhelds all cover VHF plus the maritime shipping and bad weather frequencies. I say we try a VHF frequency, see what links we can form and build on that.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
bladefalcon

Post by bladefalcon »

Malthouse could you link me to that online course of yours..?
It's always been a source of fascination I've just never really had the knowledge to get into it. What better way than by supporting a member of the community!? ;)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
Cymru
(Area 12)
:)
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:I say we try a VHF frequency, see what links we can form and build on that.
Good plan 8-)
Malthouse

Re:

Post by Malthouse »

bladefalcon wrote:Malthouse could you link me to that online course of yours..?
It's always been a source of fascination I've just never really had the knowledge to get into it.
Of course, Pm me your email and I will send you a log in :)
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Hamradioop wrote:My experience with 70Mhz is it is not good at the power levels likely to be available to most peeps. It was used to replace some 149mhz stuff when I worked and it was crap. The system needed a repeater in fact 2 on Salisbury plain. However on ssb with directional antennas you can get the Balkans in the right conditions and the Baltic.
I worked out that a vehicle mounted radio, with a half or quarter wave antenna on relatively high ground at 5w communicating with the same setup would reliably reach 90 miles using 4m frequencies. That's three or four times better than 2m frequencies.

Does that sound about right?
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

Hi Malthouse,
the equipment I was referring to was the Cougar Radio system on 70Mhz. on the initial receipt of the equipment the range from a handheld unit to the base station with the base station antenna at about 80 feet was poor. A range of about 2 miles I would guess. There were numerous black spots around the airfield not always the dips and gully's. Previously on 149 Mhz Plymouth naval base could be heard it could not be heard on 70 Mhz on the same mast obviously different antennas.
regards
kevin
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Not sure if this has bearing, other than to add a reason for having VHF equipment, but Ofcom are expected to make an announcement later this year on the possibility of licence-free VHF Citizens Band. Probably going (if it happens) to be in the 145MHz area.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Malthouse wrote:
Briggs 2.0 wrote:I say we try a VHF frequency, see what links we can form and build on that.
Good plan 8-)
I should have this in place next week, will set up a web page for registration.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Here we go, I have set the subscription at just a fiver for three months to gauge uptake and get some feedback. That won't make any money, but will cover the cost of the licensing etc if a fair people decide to try it out.

http://www.sentinel-shield.com/network.html

The intention initially is to offer three frequencies, a low-ish one, a VHF one and a UHF one.
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

MH what setup would you recommend to use this service? If there are options maybe you could recommend Budget / Mid range / Top end
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

Area 4