Diesel Freezing warning

Logistics and Transport
jansman

Re: Diesel Freezing warning

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote:I've had a personal report of undiluted screenwash freezing in the pipes. Not driving myself, I don't know if thats rare or not, but its certainly happening today.
Happened to me.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Hmmm I thought diesel didnt start to gel up till -18C , I'm guessing wind chill plays a part here too for vehicles already moving .
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
jansman

Post by jansman »

xplosiv1 wrote:Hmmm I thought diesel didnt start to gel up till -18C , I'm guessing wind chill plays a part here too for vehicles already moving .
Son in law,who is a plant fitter, just told me that wind chill has been a factor.They have been lighting small fires under the tanks.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

-8C for most pump diesel, but it starts to get sludgy a bit before that, and once it has started going sludgy it needs warming up a lot before it'll remix properly.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Jamesey1981 wrote:-8C for most pump diesel, but it starts to get sludgy a bit before that, and once it has started going sludgy it needs warming up a lot before it'll remix properly.
There are two classes of diesel used in the UK (summer and winter diesel) winter diesel is distributed between November to March with additives allow it to operate at temperatures -15C (possibly -20C) ...... summer diesel is -5 C(possibly down to -8C) thats probably where your number came from.

Winter diesel
For the "temperate" climatic zones, the EN 590 standard defines six classes from A to F. In Central and Western Europe, the winter diesel (Winterdiesel, diesel d'hiver) must meet Class F conditions at least from the beginning of December to the end of February. During a transitional period (mostly October and April), a lower class must be met.

Tests in the Alpine regions have shown that the diesel fuel offered at gas stations extends the law requirements by some degrees, showing a CFPP of −27°C in all samples.[8] The CloudPoint is not specified in EN 590 although DIN 51603 for heating oil specifies a CloudPoint below +1 °C for CFPP −10 °C. Current additives allow a CFPP of −20 °C to be based on diesel fuel with a CloudPoint of −7 °C.

link to data source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_diesel_fuel
Area 11

unsure

Post by unsure »

Jamesey1981 wrote:Maybe it's gone a bit sludgy in the lines, I think mine run through the floor, if yours run underneath then they'd get colder, could also just be warmer here, it's cold by sussex standards but there a places much colder.

I know in Scandinavia they have electric heaters that stop the fuel going sludgy in winter.

underneath , along the top of the chassis leg , the say the winds been blowing around -9 , so maybe at 60 mph it could be enough to wax it up .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
preppergb

Post by preppergb »

With my old Sherpa van fitted with a Ford 2.5 liter Diesel if the derv started waxing up i used to add half a pint of petrol to the tank before I filled up. Some people use pure acetone as an additive to stop diesel from waxing up. I dont know what are the exact mix ratios though. Oh and this modern Biodiesel waxing up quite badly in winter according to some sources.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Fair enough Xplosiv1, I knew of the existence of winter diesel, didnt know we got it here though.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
unsure

Post by unsure »

i would have thought winter diesel would be in the pumps by know .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Jamesey1981 wrote:Fair enough Xplosiv1, I knew of the existence of winter diesel, didnt know we got it here though.
Its news to me too, I didn't realize either till I looked it up.
Area 11