Electric vehicles (and PV elec)

Logistics and Transport
CynicalSurvival

Electric vehicles (and PV elec)

Post by CynicalSurvival »

Hi all, I know that this is a long way from most people's idea of a B.O.V. but I've lately been thinking about electric vehicles. My thoughts are that although they have major limitations (especially range), they potentially allow self-sufficiency in the event of a collapse/blockade of fuel supplies. They are also simple (I have heard) with a lot less to go wrong than other vehicles. With a wind turbine or (more likely) a set of PV cells on the roof, it would be possible to run it for essentially nothing, even in a post-event society.

Otoh they tend to be small and have a max range of 90 miles or so, so you'd probably want to have a larger petrol/diesel option too ideally.

Any thoughts?
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
lincsprepper

Re: Electric vehicles (and PV elec)

Post by lincsprepper »

I once had a look at an electric vehicle, i renault i think. the problem with that was you had to rent the battery and they charged so much rent that it wasnt viable unless you did more miles than was practical in an electric vehicle.

would pv cells be able to charge it quick enough to be practical?
CynicalSurvival

Post by CynicalSurvival »

I don't know for sure. Something like the Nissan Leaf is 100% electric and has a range of about 90 miles. I don't think you have to rent a battery, but correct me anyone if I am wrong. You can charge it from home mains, which made me wonder if you could charge from PV. Especially for anyone who works nightshift and can charge the car during the day, that might be a good option...?

It may be that the technology is not quite there yet, but it appears to me that it's not far off.
The last taboo is the myth of civilisation. It is built upon the stories we have constructed about our genius, our indestructibility, our manifest destiny as a chosen species. - The Dark Mountain Project Manifesto http://dark-mountain.net/about/manifesto/
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

mate has a prius plug in ,,, best of both worlds to a degree battery for round town and if needed petrol engine to boost it back up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Pr ... -in_Hybrid
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

CynicalSurvival wrote:Hi all, I know that this is a long way from most people's idea of a B.O.V. but I've lately been thinking about electric vehicles. My thoughts are that although they have major limitations (especially range), they potentially allow self-sufficiency in the event of a collapse/blockade of fuel supplies. They are also simple (I have heard) with a lot less to go wrong than other vehicles. With a wind turbine or (more likely) a set of PV cells on the roof, it would be possible to run it for essentially nothing, even in a post-event society.

Otoh they tend to be small and have a max range of 90 miles or so, so you'd probably want to have a larger petrol/diesel option too ideally.

Any thoughts?
with a large enough array and a large battery bank this would be possible, with the normal grid tie set up it would not as the PV is disconnected when the grid goes down. However the limitations are how far the car can go on a charge . so 45 miles one way.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

If we are looking at an electric vehicle as some sort of BOV then the limited range would in my eyes render it pretty much a poor choice. If we are looking it as a simple alternative to a oil fuelled car then again I would say it's also a non starter unless one enjoys spending a lot. While it should be possible to charge the batteries using PV the capital outlay of car , batteries and panels would be prohibitive , plus it should be remembered that the panels needed to charge the car would need to be in addition to those used to power the house. However , if we are looking at it as a possibility for a grid down , no oil situation then the often quoted problem of limited range wouldn't be a real issue. Society would become far less mobile and more localised , and would we really need to drive more than 45 miles very often?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Hamradioop wrote:
with a large enough array and a large battery bank this would be possible, with the normal grid tie set up it would not as the PV is disconnected when the grid goes down. However the limitations are how far the car can go on a charge . so 45 miles one way.

my mates prius charges at 2000w if your savvy with grid down and err tamper with your grid tie inverter it can be made to be "just an inverter" and pump out power to what ever you wish from what ive been reading its just a relay that isolates the panels from the grid when there is no incoming feed

obviously i wouldnt advocate doing that unless you know EXACTLY What your doing ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine