In light of recent aviation events

Logistics and Transport
Wolfman

In light of recent aviation events

Post by Wolfman »

We seem to have had more aircraft "accidents" in the last year than any time I remember, a useful website to track commercial flights is:

http://www.flightradar24.com/

which gives you realtime information on most planes in the air at any time, it is useful for understanding flight paths and journey routes/times. Knowledge is power, do with it what you will
Hamradioop

Re: In light of recent aviation events

Post by Hamradioop »

The recent spate of air craft crashes are concerning. However There appears to be no link between any of them, I therefore will continue to fly as appropriate.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

At the risk of upsetting relatives of the deceased their deaths receive an awful lot of coverage. 150 died in the recent crash in the alps , terrible lost of life I know , but around 170 are killed every day on the roads of Europe but those figures don't make the news. As it is flying is still one of the safest ways to travel if one has to travel. Me personally I haven't been on a plane for about three years although fear of crashing isn't what keeps me off them. Perhaps if we didn't have so many people and so many things in the wrong place to begin with there would be less moving around and less accidents.
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

grenfell wrote:At the risk of upsetting relatives of the deceased their deaths receive an awful lot of coverage. 150 died in the recent crash in the alps , terrible lost of life I know , but around 170 are killed every day on the roads of Europe but those figures don't make the news. As it is flying is still one of the safest ways to travel if one has to travel. Me personally I haven't been on a plane for about three years although fear of crashing isn't what keeps me off them. Perhaps if we didn't have so many people and so many things in the wrong place to begin with there would be less moving around and less accidents.
Agreed.

There was even a quote on one of the news channels that the particular model of Airbus involved in the Alps crash is so populous that one takes off or lands somewhere in world on average every 2 seconds!! And is one of the safest planes in the skies.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I wonder if the ban it brigade are going to ask for an airliner ban, in case another mentally ill person gets behind the controls of one? Sorry for the bad taste, my heart as always goes out to the victims and families of such tragedies, but I wanted to point out that it wasn't the planes fault!
grenfell wrote:At the risk of upsetting relatives of the deceased their deaths receive an awful lot of coverage. 150 died in the recent crash in the alps , terrible lost of life I know , but around 170 are killed every day on the roads of Europe but those figures don't make the news. As it is flying is still one of the safest ways to travel if one has to travel. Me personally I haven't been on a plane for about three years although fear of crashing isn't what keeps me off them. Perhaps if we didn't have so many people and so many things in the wrong place to begin with there would be less moving around and less accidents.
The statistics are terrible for sure, of course I'm nodding to the ludicrous firearm bans here and the movement towards stricter control and bans elsewhere, we do not pay enough attention to mental health, the pilot's state of mind was very questionable, clearly a sick note wasn't enough, which I'm sure will see some sensible safeguards introduced rather quickly.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

Plymtom wrote:....we do not pay enough attention to mental health, the pilot's state of mind was very questionable, clearly a sick note wasn't enough, which I'm sure will see some sensible safeguards introduced rather quickly.
How many years will it be until BA are using drones......?
Wingfoot

Post by Wingfoot »

Devonian wrote:
Plymtom wrote:....we do not pay enough attention to mental health, the pilot's state of mind was very questionable, clearly a sick note wasn't enough, which I'm sure will see some sensible safeguards introduced rather quickly.
How many years will it be until BA are using drones......?
And how soon after that will control of one be intercepted by terrorists & crashed into a target of their choosing ?

I will always prefer to have a human pilot on board & in the loop who can take control if needed, that doesnt mean im against new systems that assist them in flying safer.

Plymtom your point is well made, it appears those intent on commiting mass murder are able to do just that if they are so intent on doing it, if this guy had shot those passengers instead you can guarantee the media focus would be all on the gun.

To blame the gun, or in this latest act of mass murder a plane, is as rediculous as saying spoons are responsible for making people fat.

The loss of life is a tragedy & a picture of the pilots mental health seems to be emerging, I doubt any of that will be of comfort for the victims families though.

Wf
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Dazzaw

Post by Dazzaw »

Funny you say that about ba using drones . Airbus are actually doing trials to move pilots to mid aircraft near landing gear flying using computer screens and camera feeds to them to maximise space for passangers so drone flight not be far off . But itll be down to passangers if they chose to fly or not if itll be a success or not . Airbus easy to adapt as 3 computers and hydraulics for controls . Boeing still fly by wire controls and alot more manual to fly .