Emergency Travel/Radio Broadcasts

Logistics and Transport
Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

I was in the car tonight on the way home listening to my Les Miserables CD when the song cut out and instead I got a broadcast about a crash and transport disruptions in and around Cumbria. I know that these sorts of emergency/travel broadcasts can interrupt normal radio stations. I had no idea that while listening to a CD they can cut in with the broadcast. Not that I am complaining. My mum found it annoying. I found it fascinating if I'm honest. In all the years I have listened to CD's in the car this is the first time I have had one interrupted for an emergency broadcast. Is this something new or has this been around for a while? I can see the potential it has in an emergency situation. I know about having emergency broadcasts on TV and radio. This was just something new to me so thought I would share.

It it got me thinking as well. There are so many different mediums of communication out there and news does travel around the world and through communities very quickly. But, very specifically, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the capabilities the Government and the emergency services have to interrupt lines of communications to broadcast live emergency information (I already understand they can interrupt TV channels and websites etc. I'm thinking outside that and in particular personal devices such as phones.)

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Emergency Travel/Radio Broadcasts

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

The travel alert thing on the radio has been on the the go for years on most cars its activated by the TP or TA button
often in the menu you can select between local and national broadcasts...

Mine also has a news button...

As for mobiles
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ing-trials
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
janso

Post by janso »

Was going to mention that; it's the traffic awareness preset which cut in. I think it does the same with playing off mp3... I think it's cut in whilst listening to podcasts

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!
Society has gotten to the point where everybody has a right but nobody has a responsibility
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

The police have the capability to broadcast text messages to all phones in a mobile network cell, local authorities have access to CB radio as well the ability to transmit on normal radio station frequencies in emergencies.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

And don't forget Raynet as well for emergency communications.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

I have it on my car stereo, interrupts whatever source is playing. I accidentally activated it a year or so ago and now I can't work out the key presses to switch it off! :oops:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

Malthouse wrote:The police have the capability to broadcast text messages to all phones in a mobile network cell, local authorities have access to CB radio as well the ability to transmit on normal radio station frequencies in emergencies.
Didn't know the police had that capability. Do you know of any incidence of it ever being used?

Qr

'At Spes Infracta'

Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

Hamradioop wrote:And don't forget Raynet as well for emergency communications.
Never heard of that before but it sounds really useful. Would be great to have fellow preppers as part of Raynet.

Qr

'At Spes Infracta'

Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:The travel alert thing on the radio has been on the the go for years on most cars its activated by the TP or TA button
often in the menu you can select between local and national broadcasts...

Mine also has a news button...

As for mobiles
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ing-trials
Thanks for the link. I actually think this is a really good idea and prefer the CBS approach. Seems to be in trials at the moment. I would like to see this put into use. In an instance on civil unrest, large scale fire, terrorist attack etc there will be a lot of frightened people. Having a text sent to people that will give them clear instructions as to what to do could save lives and help alleviate stress on the situation.

Qr

'At Spes Infracta'

Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Quercus-robur wrote:Didn't know the police had that capability. Do you know of any incidence of it ever being used?
It is not used or useful often, but is relatively simple to do. I think one time it was used was a fire at a chemical factory, the message told people to stay indoors and close windows etc., and to listen to local radio for updates.