Licensed Radio Network

Logistics and Transport
Malthouse

Re: Licensed Radio Network

Post by Malthouse »

I would suggest the ubiquitous Boafangs, the cheapest UHF ones will work with the highest frequency and be a great addition to the PMR channels. The dual band ones, like the UV5R, will be even better and still less than 30 quid usually.

For a high end vehicle mounted system I would look at something like the Yaesu FT-7900 or something similar.
m0tty

Post by m0tty »

Not sure if this has bearing, other than to add a reason for having VHF equipment, but Ofcom are expected to make an announcement later this year on the possibility of licence-free VHF Citizens Band. Probably going (if it happens) to be in the 145MHz area.
Hi Malthouse, I would seriously consider taking the radio amateur foundation licence, free life time licence, 10 watts, gamut of frequencies, plethora of different modes inc. a lot of digital data modes and resources piling out of the attic :lol:

Checkout my thread here on this subject viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10542

I was an experimenter for Ofcom on the 5MHZ (60mtr) band, to check it's reliability for possible use as an UK emergency frequency. I found it to be most reliable to work this band using it in nvis mode. Basically this means using the wire antenna close to ground ( 7ft above ground in this case), and what this does in effect causes your signal to travel almost vertically upwards, is reflected back down to ground in a conical shape, with the widest part being the bottom of the cone that reaches earth, giving anywhere from 250 - 500 miles coverage, depending on band conditions at that time. In this mode, it doesn't rely on the normal propagation parameters that affects higher frequencies. There other frequencies like this that you could use, as this one is only available to full licensees. Generally, anything under 14MHz ( 20mtrs) can be used in the nvis ( near vertical incidence skywave) mode. Sounds complicated and a posh name to boot, but really it just means having a low to ground antenna to cause this effect.

Feel free to pick me grey matter Malthouse if you need anything, but there is a sh*t tonne of articles on any topic to do with ham radio.

All the best m8 ;)

Daz
Stay safe, stay prepared.
AlwaysBeReady

Post by AlwaysBeReady »

Some of the things in this post seem to have gone over my head, although I do understand radio waves from school science (one of the few subjects that interested me!).

I just want you guys to bear in mind that most Preppers get into radio because of prepping, and so are not radio enthusiasts at heart, they just want a basic cheap radio like the Baofeng UV-5R so that they can communicate if mobiles become useless. With this in mind, PLEASE PLEASE keep the plan basic and accessible to users like me.

Think- in a SHTF situation, would you rather manage to contact a guy with awesome radio skills and equipment but who is primarily a radio enthusiast, OR a guy with basic radio skills and a cheap radio, but who is a prepper who can really bring something to the table.

Let's not get lose sight of who we're trying to reach and what their radio capabilities might be.
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

AlwaysBeReady, do not be concerned, the Bath Based Distance Learning courses may be for you contact hartley_steve@hotmail.com for more info.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

The consensus seems to be to have a group licence for something around 170 MHz.

That frequency is pretty easy to access with cheap equipment but will also work very well with high end stuff if that is what takes your fancy.

Added to the other frequencies this would be a great bonus if/when mainstream communications go down.