Asthma

Medical and Healthcare
Rearfang

Asthma

Post by Rearfang »

Any one know of other ways to alleviate symptoms of asthma when poms run out or no longer available
mushroom

Re: Asthma

Post by mushroom »

There is a breathing technique which some people swear by, can't remember what it's called though and have never tried it myself - have a go at googling! Inhaling steam can loosen airways. Asda also sell blue reliever inhalers over the counter - so they are a good thing to try and stockpile perhaps!
piglet

Post by piglet »

I have a friend that suffers quite badly with Asthma and they have found that Anti Histamines help a lot. Yes I know its just another form of medication but it is possibly another option?

Also my young niece has suffered very badly with Asthma and her mother was advised to try a herbal oil, added to a drink...unfortunately I forget the name right now...I will ask again next time I speak to her...but anyway....she rarely ever has an asthma attack anymore, since using this treatment. I will point out that she is not a delicate child by any means and lives on a farm and plays hard.

I know herbal remedies are frowned upon by some and should not be used as a total replacement for modern medication when it is available, but the original question was regarding a situation where prescription medication might be hard to come by. So, just perhaps some of these herbal remedies should be given some serious study and research by those who believe that one day they might not have any other option?
And I emphasise 'serious' research and not just take old wives tales as gospel. What may possibly work for one may be the completely wrong thing for another.

Also there are other issues that are worth researching like diet...it is known that certain foods can aggravate breathing issues, like musty foods for instance.
And, I have heard, but don't know if true....could be one of those old wives tales? That certain toothpastes are better than others for Asthma sufferers....or maybe that's just a sales pitch?

Anyways, I am not an Asthma sufferer but have people close to me that are, and any good information people here can share would be much appreciated, so that I can perhaps look into it further, for friends and family.
ain't settlin'
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

I didn't know asda sold blue inhalers I thought they were Pom ill have to look into that may save money on prescription
Anti histermine tabs should help herbal ways may become nessatiy recommended or not if nhs goes meltdown
arnie72

Post by arnie72 »

I have looked these up and they are more expensive than if bought using a prescription but still an option.

As for most people money is tight getting a good stock of these in will be very expensive.

I had heard Chickweed used in a tea is good for asthma, has anyone else heard this or of another 'natural' help for asthma?
Panther

Post by Panther »

My 1903 copy of Robinson's New Family Herbal suggests:

"SKUNK-CABBAGE" and I quote:
"The root should be pounded or ground to a powder. This powder may be taken in tea, sweetened or made into a syrup, or a tea spoonful may be mixed with honey, and taken in the morning, or at night when going to bed. It is good for asthma, cough, difficulty of breathing, and all disorders of the lungs, and with other articles, makes one of the best preparations for those complaints I have ever found."

Needless to say I've not tried this potion and am not endorsing it in any way :!: Just the name of the plant makes it sound quite disgusting :)
Rearfang

Post by Rearfang »

Had to google skunk cabbage never seen it before anyone know if available here
dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

Watched a programme a few years ago - maybe Horizon? - anyway they claimed a huge amount of success in relieving asthma symptoms by very strict dust control. Wooden floors cleaned daily, as few soft furnishings as possible. Beds aired daily. That's all I can remember apart from the removal of all soft toys for kids (sorry, that teddy has to go!)

I haven't got asthma, so no idea how effective all this is but just throwing it in incase it's useful :)

DD
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Rearfang wrote:Had to google skunk cabbage never seen it before anyone know if available here
They are a massive plant we have loads growing nearby , need plenty of water and are usually found in old walled gardens , Victorians brought them in .

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
piglet

Post by piglet »

dizzydays wrote:Watched a programme a few years ago - maybe Horizon? - anyway they claimed a huge amount of success in relieving asthma symptoms by very strict dust control. Wooden floors cleaned daily, as few soft furnishings as possible. Beds aired daily. That's all I can remember apart from the removal of all soft toys for kids (sorry, that teddy has to go!)
DD
This is definitely true.
Reduce dust in the home as much as possible.

The main problem is Dust Mites that feed on shed skin. And your bedding is the major breeding place for these creatures.
By airing your bedding regularly, especially pillow cases, you can help reduce the Mite problem. I have even heard that just pulling the covers back, to cool the bedding whilst not in use, can help a little.

You can buy special bedding covers that health experts, claim to reduce the problem by as much as 40%.

And also you can buy sonic devices (It interferes with the Mites breeding cycle) that again are claimed to alleviate the problem by another 40%, although they require power which raises another question on how to power them when the lights go out?

And whilst electricity is available, and if you can afford, there are Hoovers that use a heated filter system that cooks the little monsters before they can pass through the air filter back into your home.
ain't settlin'