Top 10 Medicines

Medical and Healthcare
Bladerunner

Re: Top 10 Medicines

Post by Bladerunner »

Hi Urban Fox, (can I call you Foxxy?)
I saw that program too. They helped a guy at the side of the road and then later on he helped them back, good Karma.

It also showed how to empty a car of fuel pretty quickly.

As for anti biotics, couldn't you use honey? Manuka would be good but I am sure there are other types that would work. It's been around for millennia.

I'm sure someone on here will have more knowledge of honey used this way so just wait and see.

Be lucky
Maddie_cat

Post by Maddie_cat »

:o :o What was the programme????? Can it be downloaded from iPlayer?
I'm in Area 1
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Yes its a good one - its called Life after Armageddon. You can watch it on U-Tube - its comes in 9 parts. Very good and not too typically American. You can easily relate to it or change certain bits to fit the UK. Obviously there are some differences such as the vast expanses of countryside between towns etc which in our desparately over crowded land you don't have so much of, but its one of the things that made me seriously look at prepping as it makes you think "How can we survive as a family?"
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
arnieh

Post by arnieh »

Hi, reading the post re fish antibiotics has any one any idea what sort of shelf life they have please?
Leo1

Post by Leo1 »

Paracetamol
Solpadol
Oral rehydration salts
Amoxicillin
Cefotaxime
Salbutamol
Prednisolone
Theophylline
Benadryl
Diazepam

Leo
tigs

Post by tigs »

arnieh wrote:Hi, reading the post re fish antibiotics has any one any idea what sort of shelf life they have please?
im sure i posted about the shelf life of meds some where else!! anyway

"The U.S. military conducted one of the largest potency studies ever in the 1980s. It found that 90% of the drugs it tested (they were actually tested by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration) were safe and effective 15 years after their expiration dates.http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelfm.htm
Last edited by tigs on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
MedicHerbalist

Post by MedicHerbalist »

In the event of a breakdown everyone will be under a lot of stress. Everyone's immune system will therefore be in poor shape. Add to that the probability that we will be living for some time on preserved food which is lower in nutrients than fresh food. There is a high probability that regardless of how many calories we get we will become nutrient deficient and prone to infection. Stocks of anti-biotics are not an answer to this. When deciding what pills to stock include vitamin and minerals. It is better not to get sick than to try to fix it in poor conditions. My choice is:

Multivitamin
Multimineral
Magnesium/Calcium/Zinc mix
Vitamin C (1000mg)
Vitamin E
Vitamin D3 (5000iu)

For wounds the layer underneath the bark of a willow twig contains salycillic acid. Shred some of this material, add some honey and bind it on the wound and you have a natural antibiotic wound compress. (Learning bee-keeping might be part of a good prepping strategy).
Leo1

Post by Leo1 »

tigs wrote: "The U.S. military conducted one of the largest potency studies ever in the 1980s. It found that 90% of the drugs it tested (they were actually tested by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration) were safe and effective 15 years after their expiration dates.[url]http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelfm.htm[url]
Be very careful on this, some become very nasty after 6 month's past they shelf life. And this dose not cover generic brands either.

As to the list. I have never seen a complete list from shelf life extension program. And dont belive it has ever been posted on line, one place to get an idea on what's what. Is The Patriot Nurse Youtube channel has one or 2 video's on the subject.

Leo
the7ps

Post by the7ps »

Leo1 wrote:Paracetamol
Solpadol
Oral rehydration salts
Amoxicillin
Cefotaxime
Salbutamol
Prednisolone
Theophylline
Benadryl
Diazepam

Leo
Any idea where I can get diazepam? It's for medical emergencies of course :P

In all seriousness, I did add to our medical preps today. We bought my Dad a bottle of whiskey for his visit which he only half finished so its gone in the medical preps box (along with my now infamous free Chinese booze) as a drink for 'medicinal purposes'.
Leo1

Post by Leo1 »

the7ps wrote:Any idea where I can get diazepam? It's for medical emergencies of course :P
Hi 7ps.

Bad news it's a POM (prescription only medicine). So i would advise you not to get hold of any untill things go belly up. It is i think a Class B drug so in today's world it is a nicking. And rightley so.
And i would advise you or any thinking get hold of this, that it is to be used only as a last resort. To reduce tension and anxiety, and induce sleep. If you or someone else is having problems. that would arise in a shtf world. And would advise you follow the guildlines in the British National Formulary. This i thing should be number 11, if the list went upto 11. Knowing how to use the drugs in a correct way. Is a must. Other wise you could be killing the patient, or have unwanted side affects.

Leo.