medication supplies

Medical and Healthcare
lone wolf

medication supplies

Post by lone wolf »

Good morning fellow preppers this is my first post since joining last week and i have already picked up so many great tips which i thank you for,

i like to think that i have taken the best steps i can to protect myself with knowledge and supplies etc but i cannot find the answers to a few questions in the event that TSHF , any advice or input would be helpful please

if there was a total breakdown and order couldn't be restored how would we deal with the following problems,

1 tooth decay
2 tooth removal
3 prescription medication
4 antibiotics
5 infection

thats just to name a few

i ask these questions because recently i told my doctor that i was preparing for a crisis situation etc and wanted to stock up on some prescription medication i use, the fact i pay for my prescriptions should have helped, you can only imagine the look on his face as he told me to "grow up and get a grip" nothing is ever going to get that bad even in a war situation..he continued,

so how could we help our selves with the 5 questions above, a recent abscess i had gave me a wake up call as it was agony and i was totally reliant on the dentist...so what if she wasn't there anymore

Lone Wolf
Carrot Cruncher

Re: medication supplies

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

To get meds for a few months ahead you can talk to the doctor about supply issues. Mrs CC still needs some cancer drugs for the next 2 years or so and by talking to the doctor about sometimes having difficulty getting hold of them we have been able to get about 4 - 6 months stock, just dont mention TEOTWAWKI, or Survival etc :lol:.

We started ordering the drugs a week or 2 before we needed them and slowly built them up with the Doctors unofficial approval

CC
lisaloolibell

Post by lisaloolibell »

some home dental supplies available here http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/dentek-oral-care.html

and I purchased some of this http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Triple-Antibiotic ... 3cb2d82a2f

might be worth getting in a supply of herbal remedies as well. Think im going to discuss this with my sister who's a pharmacist see if I can gain some info on where we can access antibiotics etc.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Honey is an antibiotic, topical and internal. Garlic can be used but I dont like it so dont know any more about it. Look into herbal medicine, lots of herbs have antibiotic and antiseptic properties but honey is fantastic, stock up on that. It will heal any open wound even diabetic ulcers.
Poultices made hot with herbs will draw pus as well. But not sure how anything would work with modern day superbugs.
Magz

Post by Magz »

I think were all wondering the same thing really, all we can do is stock up on as much stuff as we can , ie surgical tools, emergency dentail kits, pain killers, any anitbiotics we can get from our DRs, I've yet to approach mine, still thinking of the right tale to tell :) then read as much about the subject as we can.
Find out what types of antibiotics do what, then post shtf, where there is no law in force, leg it to the chemist and grab what you need and hope that the gangs didnt get their first, also if you store bartering items, you could trade for likes of anti b's.
Dentists and Doctors will be in the same boat as us, they may know how to pull a tooth or treat an infection, but they will still have to eat, we will have things they will need, I see things working on a barter system'
I plan to lose the odd course of anti b's, and just go back and get more, and from now on when I get sick, I'l weigh it up, I'l take the meds from my DR but may not actually take them ,most infections, will clear up without the meds, we are all to quick to take them, my old DR handed out anti b's like there were sweets, wish I had him now :)
we can only do it bit by bit and hope for the best. :)
hobo

Post by hobo »

For repeat prescriptions I also order them a few days to a week in advance. Have built up 6+ months so far this way....

H
preservefreak

Post by preservefreak »

Hobo that's a really good idea about building up supplies of repeat prescriptions. its something I'll start doing. how do you manage best before dates doing this though? I suppose I would be worried about getting dates mixed up if I was just saving up a few pills each month over a long period of time.

I am however amazed you've gotten yourself a 6 month supply, what time period did you build this up over?
Magz

Post by Magz »

preservefreak wrote:Hobo that's a really good idea about building up supplies of repeat prescriptions. its something I'll start doing. how do you manage best before dates doing this though? I suppose I would be worried about getting dates mixed up if I was just saving up a few pills each month over a long period of time.

I am however amazed you've gotten yourself a 6 month supply, what time period did you build this up over?
I have posted a video for you in this section, it explains all about dates and antibiotics
lone wolf

Post by lone wolf »

many thanks for the info, i have plenty of honey stored to eat, but i wasnt aware of it healing powers

ill be researching that one tonight

Lone Wolf
scoobie

Post by scoobie »

LW, have a look into Manuka honey (its not cheap, but you can buy it in supermarkets)
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin