Correct training for specific tasks.

Medical and Healthcare
Arwen Thebard

Correct training for specific tasks.

Post by Arwen Thebard »

A couple we were walking with recently, both in their late 50's like us, are very proud of their fitness and claim be very active and in the gym several times a week. Our walk was a circular route of just over six miles, almost entirely level, on good paths and a little tarmac, with a pub stop for lunch about half way around. What a surprise when they were both struggling before we reached the pub, despite our slowing down the pace to what was an easy walk for us.

It bought it home to us that we need to train for specific tasks. For us having the ability to cover a reasonable distance (15 miles) on foot, carrying back packs, in a reasonable time, is our aim in case we have to leave home for some reason. For our friends being able to play golf and tennis is their target and what they considered to be a good level of fitness was not sufficient for hiking 6 miles at pace. It is very different to think you are fit but when it comes to certain tasks, realise you are not even close.

I helped a mate dropping and logging six fir trees a while back which showed up some muscle groups I needed to work on and next time out I should be fine. Being able to swim 500 yards in open (tidal) water is our summer target. I remember a friend commented a few years back that we should try sleeping on a hard floor for a few nights before setting out camping again.

So we now focus our exercises and fitness training on what we think will be useful to our prepping, getting your body ready for specific tasks is really necessary as you get older.

Got any fitness ideas for us older preppers?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Deeps

Re: Correct training for specific tasks.

Post by Deeps »

As you say, its muscle groups, as a young man as I was a massive 'fitty', especially running. When I played 5 aside with mates they were surprised that I was feeling it sometimes the next day. My legs weren't used to the stop/start of it all, when I played more often I got more used to it but then would get out of the habit again. You lose fitness a lot quicker than you get it unfortunately, especially as you get older. :(