Next Stage First Aid Course

Medical and Healthcare
Medusa

Next Stage First Aid Course

Post by Medusa »

I am EFAW (Emergency First Aid at Work) trained, basic but enough for me to deal with a client who was choking on a piece of chicken, others who self-injure and the various day to day stuff which happens at work and at home. I would like to increase my training but am unsure what would be the next course to take. As I will be funding this course myself I do not want to telephone a private company or St John's for example and be advised to take a course which will not give me any further knowledge. Can anyone advise please?
Growing old disgracefully!
jansman

Re: Next Stage First Aid Course

Post by jansman »

Did you do the one or three day course? Three day is much more in- depth.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Medusa wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:11 pm I am EFAW (Emergency First Aid at Work) trained, basic but enough for me to deal with a client who was choking on a piece of chicken, others who self-injure and the various day to day stuff which happens at work and at home. I would like to increase my training but am unsure what would be the next course to take. As I will be funding this course myself I do not want to telephone a private company or St John's for example and be advised to take a course which will not give me any further knowledge. Can anyone advise please?
I would look into the FREC courses if u want a little more. FREC3 can be realitively easy and cheap to come by and then goes up to FREC6 which is paramedic level.

FREC gives a little more but u would want to get some hands on of u do FREC3 like maybe some observer shifts with your local ambulance service if they will allow or even some community responder if u have the time
jansman

Post by jansman »

Less than 6% of the U.K. are first aid trained. Of those, over half are lapsed in their training. The one day EAWFA , is enough to save a life. First aid is just that, FIRST aid, to help ‘til the professionals get there. I renewed mine, and it gives a confidence that means when something happens, you are not someone who stands on the sidelines, without a clue!

Since re- qualifying 6 weeks ago, I have dealt with two chokes and a pregnant woman fainting. NONE of my colleagues had a clue! How many people know that when putting a pregnant woman into the recovery position, WHERE possible , she should be on her left hand side,so as to protect baby?

The Choke last Saturday, was classic. I asked the person if they needed help ( this has to be done , when conscious, as it could be deemed as assault),she nodded with the look of fear!

I told her to COUGH! Twice. Then I gave her the ‘ back punch ‘ , because that is what it is! Anyhow, after the third smack, I shouted to call an ambulance. Fortunately, on the fourth one, the obstruction cleared.

My colleagues asked why called for the Blue Lights ? Because if I had to go to abdominal thrusts, within a minute it could have been CPR!
Also, abdominal thrusts can rupture the liver, so the professionals need to attend.

All that from an 8 hour course. GET TRAINED!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:35 pm a pregnant woman into the recovery position, WHERE possible , she should be on her left hand side,so as to protect baby?

I got told that you affect the patient more than the unborn.. there is a large blood vessel that the baby can lay on and cause circulation problems if you lay the pt on their right...

I remember whipping our little man out the trolley in Tesco last year choking on his free apple ... Looks I got when I set about back blows!
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Lots of advice there, thanks. My EFAW is due to be renewed shortly so I am considering asking if work will pay for the more advanced course for me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:55 pm Lots of advice there, thanks. My EFAW is due to be renewed shortly so I am considering asking if work will pay for the more advanced course for me.
What line of work are you in?

More info about what course is suitable

https://www.firstaid.org.uk/2017/06/20/ ... work-efaw/

Having had a review at work we have me faw and a efaw....

Soon we are all going to be faw
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:04 pm
Medusa wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:55 pm Lots of advice there, thanks. My EFAW is due to be renewed shortly so I am considering asking if work will pay for the more advanced course for me.
What line of work are you in?

More info about what course is suitable

https://www.firstaid.org.uk/2017/06/20/ ... work-efaw/

Having had a review at work we have me faw and a efaw....

Soon we are all going to be faw
Without saying too much, I lone work much of the time, including overnight shifts. I deal with recently, increased self-harm, suicidal ideation and will be requesting ligature training on Monday. EFAW is mandatory, however after considering recent incidents, I think I am going to push for at least FAW, if not a more comprehensive training course.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Recently I've been looking into first aid courses (FAW as a minimum), As I'm part funding it myself (split with work) cost is an issue.
St John's or the Red Cross charge around £350, but other training providers offer the same qualification for about the £200 mark.
Am I missing something?
Is the training from St J's or RC better then other places or is it like an Oxbridge degree where you're paying for the fancy name on your bit of paper?

As a re-enactor and bushcrafter would some other course be better suited to my needs, as long as it also covers the legal requirement for my factory workplace ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

The description of the course should tell you if it applies to the workplace. Red Cross and St Johns usually do, but just check. First aid is first aid,and the workplace course is suited to all real- life situations. At the end of the day there is one way for a first aider to deal with a ( for instance) a non - breather ...and I did that today!

Robert Frost.

Me.