allotment first aid kit

Medical and Healthcare
Yorkshire Andy

allotment first aid kit

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well I think I've got most bases covered

Thinking about an allotment it's a dirty place with lots of potential for lots of cuts/ stab type wounds with added dirt muck and poo, factor in physics work / strains / sprains / cardiac episodes

In no real order

4" & 6" trauma dressings

CAT Tourniquet with the above for severe bleeding

Pile of wound swabs / gauzes (wound packing / dressing

Crape bandages these with wound swabs = another ad-hoc trauma dressings / applying additional pressure plus wrapping strains / sprains

standard first aid dressings for less serious but deep cuts

wet wipes general wound cleaning

eye wash and eye pads

tsept antiseptic sachets bit of a taboo now but if I stand on a rake having raked the chicken coup out I'm happy to take the risk of a wound not healing as quick over killing any pathogens that have got in.....

foil blanket

pocket cpr mask
Aspirin 300mg dispersible

pack of assorted plasters
instant cool pack

burns gell and burns dressing
IMG_20181112_211649798.jpg

IMG_20181112_211657347.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Citizen H

Re: allotment first aid kit

Post by Citizen H »

eeerrrrmmmmm? so where about is this allotment? Mosul, Al-Qaim, Hawijah ?

wow its certainly getting tough out there :lol:
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I used to know a hedger and part time charcoal burner, he made a habit of putting his FAK in his pocket before unloading any tools from the van.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Citizen H wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:26 am eeerrrrmmmmm? so where about is this allotment? Mosul, Al-Qaim, Hawijah ?

wow its certainly getting tough out there :lol:

Rotorvators / petrol bush cutters with ninja star discs / agricultural glass a plenty such items demand more than a Elastoplast should things go pete-tong pepair for the worst and all that, coupled with access and ambulance call out times getting worse and it's going to be our immediate bol makes it worth stocking well pointless having the training without the kit :)

Added a 2kg 13a 84b c powder extinguisher today just incase petrol tools /bonfires make it a handy thing to have yes foam / water mist might be better but powder won't freeze in a unheated shed

Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

petrol bush cutters with ninja star discs sounds interesting may have to take another look at this allotment lark, :lol:
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"
PrepperMum

Post by PrepperMum »

This is not a bad idea at all. I may ask our Allotment Society if they have a basic first aid kit on site.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

PrepperMum wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:31 am This is not a bad idea at all. I may ask our Allotment Society if they have a basic first aid kit on site.
Something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medium-Workp ... nav=SEARCH

But people will pilfer the contents we secure ours at work with fire extinguisher seals which snap easy but discouraged people from helping themselves and we can see at a glance if it's been used

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FSSS-Ltd-SECUR ... 439TJ0XYZ0

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

hedgerowpete wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:54 pm for me while i can understand what yur planning for and what your looking at, i would suggest that your risk management is wrong.

not quite understanding that? allow me to explain.

oh I understand risks I'm a member of the national examining body of occupational safety and health and qualified to Cary out risk assessments

tomake or design any kit, but this case a first aid kit, you need to work out what risks ar ethere in the first place. once you know your risks and they are extreamly easy to work out, that dictates your needs.

the kit you have is good and fine and will last you very well for many years.

try these questions and see where you end up

Location. number one question is where are you and where is the nearest ambulance service point, if your city based maybe less than 30 minutes away, mid wales up a mountain possibly three hours away, add to that when you call the 999 number midnight is just as busy now as mid day for these crews.

less than 30 mins, small FAK,
medium time less than an hour, what you have there is fine that's the timeframe it's based on
high risk, 3 hours or more, possibly consider self rescue, self preservation, but for that you need to train the wife not you as she is the one stitching your leg back together. she is also a first aider and the lads done basic first aid at cadets

lets also remember that in a city there is no first responders or mobile medics, thats a townie and countryside option only, so you might find a better responce time in a market town than a city centre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well we live in a Town on the outskirts their are CFR's along with the local fire service rrv first response group my mate is a ex paramedic from first the fire team then joined the ambulance service but recently departed.... To start a new life ;) ambulance cover however can be affected by road / travel / overstretched system

now that you know how long to medic for that dictates what you have in that kit.

Im up-to-date on first aid at work with what untill recently was +F bu is now hanging off the "catastrophic bleeding management" of the 2015 amendments by the ERC /ILCOR only think I've not got in the kit is celox mainly due to price / lifespan in storage

the next MASSIVE OPTION- IS TRAINING,
take the chain saw, it is the most safe item in the planet right up to the bit where you start it up and chop your leg off. if you actually took propper training and i mean realy good training not just watching a you tube video, and brought decent safet kit and WORE THE SAFETY KIT, and did not abuse the tool, stand in trees your cutting down and any other darwin award winning meathod of chain saw use, you again will never ever need that first aid kit.
see people at my allotment, with peptrol strimmers and flipflops, i see trained proffessionals on construction sites, mowing grass with strimmers and no face mask or eye protection,
IMG_20190103_193934680_HDR.jpg
shin gaurds or head wear. the reason most people cutheir toes off with a strimmer and it is a common summer time A&E favorite is wearing shorts and flip flops and not noticing where their own foot is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you can do tool box training get in outside trainers but more often than not regular users of tools / machines / plant get complacent I saw a fully qualified man with 20 years + experience remove 2 fingers... Momentary lapse in concentration and your in for it ... The old never put your hand where you wouldn't put your wedding tackle rings very true..

so risk of help and risk of tool abuse, that leaves just pure accidents, or are they?????????????

liquids not in IDENTIFIABLE labled bottles, sharp tools without a storage gaurd. 99% of all knife acidents on a constrruction site ( where i work) IS DONE BY THEMSELVES TO THEM SELVES, I stabbed my self has to be number one accident book statement i know of,

AHH the good old Stanley knife

a pair of gloves on, long trousers, even in summer, sencible foot wear, ok not massive welly boots and steel toe caps, that's what a predominantly wear on the allotment in winter especially but not flip flops, i wear work shoes. strimmers want you to wear a full face mask, trousers, i dont own shin gaurds but use old cricket pads instead. chain saws i have a bag with a set of trousers and gloves and i use work boots and a jacket

prevent your accident risks with a spot of protctive kit and protective training first, israel dressings second.

just remember gloves can be a wolf in sheep's clothing and can cause entanglement issues with some garden machinery likewise steel toe caps can have a shearing action (bloke at work has 1 1/2 toes left when he slipped and his foot went under the deck of a mower medics said the toe cap increased his injury vastly so much so a new risk assessment and the ppe matrix updated advising a good against toe cap boots for mowing.., like the cricket pads do you also wear a box? ;) I've a pair of arramid paneled trousers for strimming and a jsp Forrester's helmet

rant over heres some ideas for your kit i would have

fabric plasters, in strips 100mm long the ones you cut to size, i find i need two or three to wrap around bits of me bleeding, snips and a stip work better than pre cut plasters. I usually go for gauze and 3m microporevtape

saline soulution and no fibreous pads
i find cut fingers , normally happen with burried glass and my fingers,got the 25cc ampules of saline

a 500mm bottle of saline with the screw off lid is good to wash and clean the cut out and then to cover it.
I've got t-sept and saline I remember grandma having iodine!

once clean and dry, skin glue or liquid skin works well or plasters and dressings steri strips and what ever you want, after that its a nitriale glove to cover and keep clean, work glove over the top and carry on as normal, big bottles are better value than small spot ones.

also good for eye issues, dust in the face ect,

as a beekeeper we used to keep a valid epi pen training, i refuse to buy pens to use on others,

have you had all your jabs?? tetnus is a terrible thing and still very at risk in the uk, you can pay to have jabs done, most doctors and travel clinics will do it for youall up-to-date I'm covered for life for tetnus
Think I covered it all ;)

jansman

Post by jansman »

As a butcher,I wear steelies. Always have.Had a pallet truck full of turkeys jam on my foot a couple of weeks ago.Didn't shear my toes..IT SAVED THEM!. AS DESIGNED!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:08 pm As a butcher,I wear steelies. Always have.Had a pallet truck full of turkeys jam on my foot a couple of weeks ago.Didn't shear my toes..IT SAVED THEM!. AS DESIGNED!
I wear toe caps at work but they are designed for compression loads I once dropped a rail sleeper on my toes and the cap came loose in the toe box (doc Martin safety boots not the £20 special) hobbled away unscathed bar a bit of bruising ....

They are rated at 200j which is 200kg static compression and or 20kg impact dropped from 1m .. in the lad at works case it was hit side on by a heavy industrial mower blade which grabbed the cap and took his toes with it