What’s so good about pine needle tea?

Medical and Healthcare
Citizen H

What’s so good about pine needle tea?

Post by Citizen H »

I happened upon a Swedish guys youtube treck through the woods, it wasn't narrated and he was just filming what he was doing it relation to fire bulding, cooking etc etc, at one point he puts a couple of sprigs of pine needle into his kettle on the fire..... ? so I had to look into this and its all a bit interesting, Did you Know ?

1. Pine needle tea has a pleasant taste and smell (always a good start).
2. It is rich in vitamin C (5 times the concentration of vitamin C found in lemons) and can bring relief to conditions such as heart disease, varicose veins, skin complaints and fatigue
3. Vitamin C is also an immune system booster which means that pine needle tea can help to fight illness and infections.
4. Pine needle tea also contains high levels of Vitamin A, which is good for your eyesight, improves hair and skin regeneration and improves red blood cell production.
5. It can be used as an expectorant for coughs and to help relieve chest congestion; it is also good for sore throats.
6. It brings you clarity and mental clearness.
7. It can help with depression, obesity, allergies and high blood pressure.
8. Pine needles contain antioxidants. These reduce free radicals, which are harmful to humans and can cause disease.
9. Taoist priests drank pine needle tea as they believed it made them live longer. There is researched evidence that pine needle tea can help to slow the ageing process.
10. Pick some pine needles and let them soak in boiling water on your stove and it will add a crisp pine smell all over the house. Perfect for Christmas.

How to make pine needle tea

Collect pine needles , Boil water, Add pine needles and let them infuse in the boiling water, Sieve and serve.

A word or two of caution: firstly, don’t try pine needle tea if you are pregnant. Secondly, most pine varieties can be used, but steer clear of Yew and Cypress which can sometimes be mistaken for pine. A good rule of thumb is to avoid flat needles.

Id be interested to learn more from any of you that have used this,

Cheers "H"
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"
pseudonym

Re: What’s so good about pine needle tea?

Post by pseudonym »

All good if you have no other means.

I would beg to differ on the tastes nice bit though :?

I've tried it in the UK and in Norway and now make sure I have extra coffee and multivitamins at all times :D

As mentioned above, pick your pine needles carefully, don't mistake it for Yew or that's all folks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-26089688

http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/atoz/taxus_baccata.htm
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I've maybe not added enough pine needles but it didn't float my boat either. If I was stuck in the wilds with feck all else its one of those 'handy to know' things but put me down for that caffeine based stuff. The pine smells nice though.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Not being disrespectful,but I will stick with my builders tea.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

you missed themain plus point of pine needle tea!

fresh air and exercise as you have to get off your jacksie to go to the woods to collect it :lol: