Shortage of meds

Medical and Healthcare
PreppingPingu

Shortage of meds

Post by PreppingPingu »

There seems to be a shortage of the flu vaccine for over 65s. This is a different vaccine to the one that the rest of us get. It contains 4 strains not 3 I think. The powers that be have yet to authorise the standard 3 strain one for use for the over 65s. An article here https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2018-09-18 ... r-65s-pha/ states that this is rubbish yet my brother, who is a pharmacy manager and my friend who is a dispenser, both confirm this to be true. My dispenser friend has also said that they have supply issues with water tablets which again are something that they get through loads of for the over 65 population. This comes on the back of the epi pen shortage a few months ago.

From a prepping point of view, just a reminder that where possible as the winter is coming and Brexit looms, make sure that you get hold of plenty stock of your meds, especially for those relatives or those of us who are over 65 or vulnerable due to ongoing health conditions.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
yorkshirewolf

Re: Shortage of meds

Post by yorkshirewolf »

I've been stocking up on pain relief, NSAIDs and decent antihistamines, all over the counter so it takes time and i can only buy so much at once, but i have got to the mindset of every time i'm in or near a chemist i'll pop in for a box or two.

Can't hurt to have them and they last well past the sell by date so no worries about longevity.

Better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it...
jansman

Post by jansman »

It’s a good point. I have ongoing back problems, and always keep painkillers to hand. May have to have a look at stocks.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

This thread is timely for me, I've been advised to up my brufen uptake to a regular thing. My missus moans about the amount of brufen (and paracetamol, antihystamines etc) that I pochle away. Now I've an excuse to go full batshit. :D
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Yesterday put in a prescription for my wifes meds a full two weeks ( meds given for 2 months)before due date. See if accepted
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Accepted ;)
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Stonecarver wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:53 pm Yesterday put in a prescription for my wifes meds a full two weeks ( meds given for 2 months)before due date. See if accepted
Stonecarver wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:27 pm Accepted ;)
Nice one, do that for a few repeat cycles and you'll have a back up supply.

My surgery/pharmacy allow 7-10 days early with a 7 day turnaround so I get minimum of 3 spare days every 56.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.