Survival medicine

Medical and Healthcare
pseudonym

Re: Survival medicine

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:56 pm
redskies wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:44 pm
pseudonym wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:53 am Many thanks, my KIndle is filling up fast. :shock:
Tablet, with the SD card that has the most memory. I'm at 1600+ books & still adding them!
There's an interesting point ... is there a memory card or something that I can plug in to my kindle to augment its memory? I've already had to take it back to factory default settings and just download the things I particularly want, but its building up again :lol:
Depending on what version Kindle you have. IIRC its up to 256GB for the Kindle Fire HD 8 (7th gen)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Oh dear :lol: It's a kindle 2, something like that, I bought it in 2012 :lol: and I even bought it at a Waterstone's bookshop :lol: maybe I need to futureproof my situation, and buy a more recent one. No, considering the environmental issues on the other thread, maybe I'll take it to a shop and see whether *any* expansion kit fits. Thanks for the feedback, pseudonym.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:29 pm Oh dear :lol: It's a kindle 2, something like that, I bought it in 2012 :lol: and I even bought it at a Waterstone's bookshop :lol: maybe I need to futureproof my situation, and buy a more recent one. No, considering the environmental issues on the other thread, maybe I'll take it to a shop and see whether *any* expansion kit fits. Thanks for the feedback, pseudonym.
Have a check here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I went off to fetch it in the end. It's a Kindle Fire - no numerals after that, I should think its the first one? Storage capacity of 12.6GB.
Edited to add - must be second generation, because of the storage, the page below says first gen is 8GB, mine is 12GB
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Fire_tablet
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:22 pm I went off to fetch it in the end. It's a Kindle Fire - no numerals after that, I should think its the first one? Storage capacity of 12.6GB.
Edited to add - must be second generation, because of the storage, the page below says first gen is 8GB, mine is 12GB
on your main screen click "settings"

Under Device

Click "device options"

It should tell you your Device model.

On the right hand side edge of the Kindle there should be a small plastc covering about an inch long, if there is you can thumbnail it open and insert a micro SD card.

HTH
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Sorry to everyone else for hijacking the thread, but this is helpful!
pseudonym wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:56 pm
Arzosah wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:22 pm I went off to fetch it in the end. It's a Kindle Fire - no numerals after that, I should think its the first one? Storage capacity of 12.6GB.
on your main screen click "settings"

Under Device

Click "device options"

It should tell you your Device model.

On the right hand side edge of the Kindle there should be a small plastc covering about an inch long, if there is you can thumbnail it open and insert a micro SD card.

HTH
It doesn't have "options", it has "about", which says:
system version 7.5.1._user_[a 7 figure number, which I probably shouldn't post online! Though I'll pm you if you want]
serial number DO25 AOAO [an 8 figure number, ditto to the above].

Weird. I've looked all over, and the biggest clue is as I switch it on, it tells me its a Kindle Fire, thats it :(
TLB

Post by TLB »

[/quote]
It doesn't have "options", it has "about", which says:
system version 7.5.1._user_[a 7 figure number, which I probably shouldn't post online! Though I'll pm you if you want]
serial number DO25 AOAO [an 8 figure number, ditto to the above].

Weird. I've looked all over, and the biggest clue is as I switch it on, it tells me its a Kindle Fire, thats it :(
[/quote]

While I'm all in favour of helping the environment I'd be tempted to purchase a second device with more capacity, new or second hand. I rate Kindles but store all of my off-line books and manuals on several SD cards. We are a Android family so our tablets and phones are all similar.

I do this for a few reasons. First, assuming all is OK with the internet, all the phones and tablets have copies of a select number of files, (the A listers if you like) but if needs be I can access everything from my Drive account onto any of the devices. If there are any connection issues then I have all of the files on multiple USB sticks and cards and can download them on to the device.

Second, most of them use the same connector, the micro USB version. Two now have the USB 'C' but I have bought adaptors for every piece of charging equipment (portable batteries, solar set-ups and mains). This way I have multiple devices that I could use, if needed, whether it's for holiday reading, developing subject knowledge etc. I also use a YouTube converter to download lots of videos to watch offline to save mobile data. So I don't lose my kindle files, the devices all of have the Kindle App downloaded on it offering the best of both worlds.

The final reason why I have moved away from Kindles as my main source for e-literature is that technology does move on at quite a pace. I now have 4 devices (2 tablets and 2 phones) that are 'obsolete' for most of the apps that I or my family use due to lack of space or memory. However, as dumb terminals, devices that aren't connected to anything but are used to read offline manuals etc, they are perfect. I have 3 stored on rotation so that I am updating one all the time and the other three are tucked away yet accessible.

You could do something similar, keep your current Kindle for reading current items and to store a few essentials but have a second device that allows you to hold a great deal more? Money is always an issue to consider but the Argos Outlet centre on Ebay has some good devices really cheaply.

Sorry, wasn't meant to ramble on, thought I'd share my thoughts though on how you could resolve your dilemma, hope you don't mind.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Not at all TLB,

I also believe in redundancy.

I've just bought another 128Gb Micro SD card. :oops:

Just copied all my 64 Gb Info over so my Kindle is 1/2 full again. :twisted:

So my info is stored on my Laptop 2 separate external Hard Drives and 2 Micro SD Cards.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have an Amazon Fire thingy. Didn’t know it was so complex! :lol: Still like proper books though.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Much appreciated, TLB, I'm completely adrift with some elements of technology.
TLB wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:36 pmWhile I'm all in favour of helping the environment I'd be tempted to purchase a second device with more capacity, new or second hand. I rate Kindles but store all of my off-line books and manuals on several SD cards. We are a Android family so our tablets and phones are all similar.

I do this for a few reasons. First, assuming all is OK with the internet, all the phones and tablets have copies of a select number of files, (the A listers if you like) but if needs be I can access everything from my Drive account onto any of the devices. If there are any connection issues then I have all of the files on multiple USB sticks and cards and can download them on to the device.

Second, most of them use the same connector, the micro USB version. Two now have the USB 'C' but I have bought adaptors for every piece of charging equipment (portable batteries, solar set-ups and mains). This way I have multiple devices that I could use, if needed, whether it's for holiday reading, developing subject knowledge etc. I also use a YouTube converter to download lots of videos to watch offline to save mobile data. So I don't lose my kindle files, the devices all of have the Kindle App downloaded on it offering the best of both worlds.

The final reason why I have moved away from Kindles as my main source for e-literature is that technology does move on at quite a pace. I now have 4 devices (2 tablets and 2 phones) that are 'obsolete' for most of the apps that I or my family use due to lack of space or memory. However, as dumb terminals, devices that aren't connected to anything but are used to read offline manuals etc, they are perfect. I have 3 stored on rotation so that I am updating one all the time and the other three are tucked away yet accessible.
So far, so clear. You're doing what pseudonym does, on a bigger scale, using micro USB cards to swap between "terminals" (I like that!).
You could do something similar, keep your current Kindle for reading current items and to store a few essentials but have a second device that allows you to hold a great deal more? Money is always an issue to consider but the Argos Outlet centre on Ebay has some good devices really cheaply.
I'd rather go the route that you and pseudonym have gone, actually - using cards to swap between things. I have my laptop, my kindle, my phone, and an old phone (still a smartphone) that all have micro USB connectors. I probably need to buy a new kindle in the next year in any case - its now 7 years old, and though it works perfectly well, I'm hesitant to rely solely on it as a straightforward kindle. But probably a basic one with the ability to read a micro USB card.
Sorry, wasn't meant to ramble on, thought I'd share my thoughts though on how you could resolve your dilemma, hope you don't mind.
I'm chuffed to bits, actually :mrgreen: Could you do me a favour on this thread? Could you (or pseudonym) post a link to a micro USB card on ebay, so I'm sure what I need to look at? I just looked on there now, and there's "readers" for sale as well. If I need one, I'll buy one, but I've no idea :oops: I just don't have enough knowledge to buy the right stuff, and I wouldn't trust a shop at all with this stuff.

Thanks!