Epi pen news

Medical and Healthcare
PreppingPingu

Epi pen news

Post by PreppingPingu »

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/e ... spartandhp is an article saying that there are hiccups in the supply of this type of epi pen and that it's ok to use them if they are just out of date , extending the usage to an extra 4 months. "The MRHA this week alerted that the manufacturer is out of EpiPen Junior devices and supply will be limited in the coming months."

Interesting to note from a prepping point of view that this adrenaline is a medicine that is obviously ok to use if its just out of date. (I know we have had plenty of talks about out of date meds on here but this was quite specific and it is also a life sustaining med rather than just a bit of paracetamol!) The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) are the ones who have okayed it.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
pseudonym

Re: Epi pen news

Post by pseudonym »

Funny that, colour me sceptical.... :roll:

And when the supply date gets put back again will the drugs companies allow another 2-3 months onto that use by date?

As stated by PP above, fine for those that don't require one to carry but scary for those who will have to question a life or death decision on the potency of their device.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

If is good that the shelf life can be extended. I wonder why it is in short supply?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

jansman wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:14 pm If is good that the shelf life can be extended. I wonder why it is in short supply?
Use by dates :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:25 pm
jansman wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:14 pm If is good that the shelf life can be extended. I wonder why it is in short supply?
Use by dates :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I will rephrase the question. News reports say that prescriptions are not being filled, owing to a shortage of this medicine. I wonder why that is?

Robert Frost.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Manufacturing delays:

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/p ... rtage.html

2 years ago the price for two single shots went up to £460 in the US. :shock:

Back in May the drug was put on the FDA's shortage list:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 96856.html
jansman

Post by jansman »

Wow, that is expensive! Are there really so many people with such serious allergies? As a teacher, my wife sees kids with allergies who are , to quote: “ The sickly little kids, with namby,pamby parents.” Although, they have one with a VERY serious nut allergy, to be fair, she tells me.

Shows what a disruption in medicine supplies can do. My Father in law says he would have been dead years ago without his prescriptions. He has a carrier bag full every month!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Welshwiz11

Post by Welshwiz11 »

There’s been issues with the manufacturing of the pens in the US. Shipments are arriving this month and it’s antci that normal supplies should be reached end of Nov/dec.
from a use by point of view it’s deemed appropriate to use after because the viability of the product will not be compromised there is always a safety window. Plus the dept of health feel any adrenaline injected is better than nothing and will only degrade in potency by a small amount, also the likelihood is that EMT will have been called also. Other options are Emerade or jext these are also affected at the moment but will also be back soon.