What a day!

Medical and Healthcare
jansman

What a day!

Post by jansman »

On the zombie shift today.I started at 4.30 am.Within ten minutes a shout went up from the oven room.One of the ladies in there was seperating sausages onto trays,using one of the worn out butchery knives.They work fast,and I cannot describe their techniques,but they cut towards themselves for speed.It horrified me to start with ,so I ground their knives to a rounded,blunt point.However,a wickedly pointy one appeared this morning and ended up embedded into her abdomen!

As soon as I got in there with the first aid box,I just said " ambulance,NOW! " We were less than a minute in,and she was fainting.I laid her down,so not to injure herself any more,taking care to leave the knife clear.It was a good couple,of inches in and it was staying there,as there was enough blood without removing what was effectively a plug.I used the shears from the kit to cut away her top to expose the wound.I always have a sealed trauma pad in my left cargo pocket,so I cracked that open and packed it in tight as best I could and basically shoved my fingers in around the wound ,and it did slow the flow.After what seemed ages ( 12 minutes I was told) the medics turned up and took over.They thanked me,said I had done right,and I let them sort her out.She had an operation and a few pints of blood I am told,but is ok and stable.

Anyhow,the bakers just stood there frozen,and a couple of cooking staff just freaked out.I went and got myself cleaned up,and when the medics finally left,I went and cleaned up.Until then the ovens were off limits.A hairy ars%d builder was chelping about no hot food being available,even though the serving staff explained the situation.I told him his name for nothing,and I wont repeat it here! :lol:

Anyhow,at 7am the boss showed up,he was filled in about the situation,and then came to see me.All he had to say was,who the F##K carries wound dressings with them! " :lol: :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Re: What a day!

Post by pseudonym »

Nicely done Sir,

I would suggest to your Boss that his company ought to start stocking them. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

It was done before close of business!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Just what you need to start the day, good drills mate. If I was the boss I'd be impressed that a guy who works with sharp pointy things carries stuff to deal with the potential pitfalls of sharp pointy things.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

She was lucky you was on site!

What dressings do you carry?
I really like the oales dressings but the packaging is too big for pocket carry over the Israili or reliance combat dressing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y4XJx1PoivQ#

Got told for a embedded object to cut a slit in the pad if needed to surround the injury
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:36 pm She was lucky you was on site!

What dressings do you carry?
I really like the oales dressings but the packaging is too big for pocket carry over the Israili or reliance combat dressing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y4XJx1PoivQ#

Got told for a embedded object to cut a slit in the pad if needed to surround the injury
I cut it too. I couldn’t tell you what the brand is, I just snag ‘em out of our first aid kit. Mrs J sorts that. I’ll have a look...

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I have a load of these, keep one or two in my FAK's.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5-10-20-Ne ... 3f655058f5

All the way from Israel and they're not even proper Israeli bandages. :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

TraumaFix. 10x19. Did the biz. New one in the cargo pocket.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Posted the above while I was posting this lol iirc they are distributed by relience

https://m.spservices.co.uk/item/Brand_T ... 987_1.html

I like these the outer wrapper is very robust and they are right price

They also do a civilian version with a thinner plastic wrap

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reliance-Medic ... B004ROQ4PK

I've got a right mixture of all sorts in various kits
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Jansman! You hero! Bleepingitis, a lot happens round your way, seriously! You did amazingly well to cope with all that, she was very lucky you were there.

How have you been this evening after all that?